03

𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝙷𝚁𝙴𝙴,

𝚂𝙴𝙲𝙾𝙽𝙳-𝙿𝙴𝚁𝚂𝙾𝙽 𝙿𝙾𝙸𝙽𝚃 𝙾𝙵 𝚅𝙸𝙴𝚆.

The hum of the engine filled the background with white noise. The truck's headlights lit the freeway you drove down. No particular direction, no determined destination. You had lost track of time some while ago. Perhaps the surroundings you sped past, as the city blurred together, could be calming. But given the circumstances, it was difficult to find peace. 

The car was filled with something that is often confused with calm or peace. It was still. Whether due to your exhaustion or the tension, you did not know. Regardless, the teenager sitting beside you decided to disrupt the stillness.

"Why did you save me?" Bakugo wondered aloud. With a heavy sigh, you ran a hand over your face.

"Haven't we been over this?" You asked, keeping a lax grip on the steering wheel. You were less than enthusiastic to explain your reasoning, or lack thereof, to him. Because you did not respond, Bakguo began to theorize on his own.

"Are you an undercover hero?" The boy pressed, turning to look at you. You kept your stare focused on the dark road ahead of you.

"No," You responded quickly, the word hero striking a bitter chord.

"Do you have some kind of vendetta against The League of Villains?" Bakugo asked, narrowing his eyes at you. His gaze attempted to analyze you. You hated it.

"No." Your answer was flat and to the point.

"Are you--" You chose to not allow him the opportunity to finish.

"I'm a gun for hire," You stated honestly. "People pay me and I don't ask questions. The League hired me to keep you away from the heroes. Happy?" It may have been the lack of sleep that led to your short patience. "I might be a criminal... but even I know kidnapping a kid isn't right." The silence returned, but only for a moment.

"How long have you been a criminal?" Bakugo wondered, still staring at your focused expression. It was clear he still did not trust you, and that was fair. You would not trust yourself either.