07

𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚂𝙴𝚅𝙴𝙽,

𝚂𝙴𝙲𝙾𝙽𝙳-𝙿𝙴𝚁𝚂𝙾𝙽 𝙿𝙾𝙸𝙽𝚃 𝙾𝙵 𝚅𝙸𝙴𝚆...

The tiny meter tipped towards the E. The truck needed gas, you made a mental note of it. You glanced at the old led clock built into the dashboard. It was almost noon, but it could not hurt to find a place to stay for the night, could it? You pulled into the trashiest motel you could find.

You passed the bag to Bakugo while you unlocked the recently rented room. A light breeze blew through your hair as you stood in the outdoor hallway adjacent to the parking lot.

"You're going to stay here while I go and--" Bakugo didn't let you finish, an action that often got on your nerves,

"Why do I have to stay in this shithole?" Bakugo protested, scrunching up his nose as he looked around the small room. It was a poorly maintained place, but you were not exactly aiming for a five-star hotel.

"Because I'm the adult, and that means I get to make the decisions," You stated very matter-of-factly after folding your arms over your chest.

"You might be an adult, but you're dysfunctional as all hell," Bakugo pointed out without a second thought. He turned so his back was facing you. You scoffed as a sarcastic smile crept onto your face.

"What did you just call me?" You asked in disbelief. His sass threw you for a loop, but you should have seen it coming. When you were his age, you had quite a mouth on you as well.

"You live in an apartment that's falling apart, you have a criminal record, and you worked for The League of Villains for fuck's sake!" Bakugo raised his volume out of instinct.

"Keep your damn voice down, kid," You shushed him rather aggressively. You peeked out the window to see if anyone was around to hear.

"I'm not a child, so stop calling me that!" Bakugo insisted angrily. "I can take care of myself!" You scoffed once again with a roll of your eyes. Now of all places he decided to pick a fight?

"The only reason I'm doing this is to save your sorry ass!" You were sick of the attitude he held at the moment, so you hit him with the truth. "I didn't have to save your life, ya know! Do you have any idea what I did for you? I put everything on the line for you, kid--"

"Don't call me that!" He shouted, throwing the duffle bag across the room. "And I never asked you to help me! I could've gotten out of there myself!" His words etched rage onto your heart. 

He truly had no idea the risks you were taking just to get him home safely. You clenched your jaw and your fists balled up out of impulse. This was the last straw. You were running on fumes, stressed out of your mind, and putting your life at risk for a teenager who just disrespected you. He belittled everything you did for him.

"If you don't need my help, you can leave at any time!" You spouted before thinking that he might actually take your invitation. And upon hearing it, Bakugo instantly turned on his heels and ran. You watched him disappear down the street.

"Fuck," You mumbled to yourself. You slammed the door shut behind you, not bothering to go after him. If you were going to fix things, the both of you needed to calm down first. Better yet, why should you try and repair the damage anyways?

It was childish of you to allow your temper to get the better of you. You were dysfunctional just like Bakugo said. Maybe he was right. You were not the person you had hoped to be twelve years ago. What went wrong? What you would give to go back and change things...

You hung your head in your hands. It was stupid to let that teenager get under your skin, but, he was a teenager it is what they do best. You truly pitied your parents and old teachers now that you had a better idea of how difficult you had been to deal with in high school.

You had to go out and find Bakugo, not only to apologize but to make sure he was safe. You looked at the old clock hanging on the ugly wallpaper of the motel room. It had only been three minutes since Bakugo stormed out.

You stood up and headed for the door. When you opened it, however, a man nearly fell through the doorway. He jumped back, startled.

"Can I help you?" You asked flatly. The man who was about to knock on the door was the one who rented you the room.

"I'm--I'm terribly sorry, but a guest called to file a noise complain," He explained carefully as he tried to reclaim what was left of his dignity.

"Sorry, won't happen again," You told him. "Just dealing with a teenager." The man laughed in sympathy.

"Trust me, I understand," He told you with a smile. "I've got three children of my own and they used to be a handful at that age. These years go by quicker than you think, though." You watched as his expression grew bittersweet and nostalgic. "We have to love them while they're still around."

"Thanks," You sighed. "It's never easy, is it?" The man shook his head and smiled.

"No matter what they say, they still love us," He kindly tried to give you some sollace and advice. "We just have to make sure they know we do too. You'll fight and argue, but as long as you patch it up in the end, everything will turn out just fine." Something about his words hit too close to home and a small lump formed in your throat. You chocked it down and coughed to cover your tracks.

"Well, I hope you and your kid have a nice rest of your stay," He told you before dismissing himself. You shut the door and stepped out onto the street. You hoped Bakugo had not wandered off too far.

𝚃𝙾 𝙱𝙴 𝙲𝙾𝙽𝚃𝙸𝙽𝚄𝙴𝙳...