Chapter 10 | Storm-clouds

"Garnet? You saw that?!" Yellow Pearl shrieked, trying to hide her blush. She looked at the floor sheepishly as tried to not to make eye contact, and I know it was bad of me but I couldn't help but giggle.
"You know you don't have to pretend in front of me" Garnet began "I do have future vision after all." As she continued, she trailed off and looked out onto the horizon, the joy flickering into a concern.

I turned around, looking out into the distance, I noticed that large dark clouds had to began to form. They stretched out, long ominous storm-clouds that skimmed the horizon. Compared to the last golden flickers of sunlight, they sat on the edge of the sea, casting waves that seemed to get bigger and bigger.

"What's happening?" Concern rung in Yellow Pearl's words as she gazed out into the distance. "Is the planet under attack? They've come for us haven't they."
"No, it's just a storm. I'm taking you don't have storms on homeworld then"
She looked thoughtful for a second, before answer: "none like this".

We entered the house again to see Steven and Amethyst playing video games on Steven's bed and Pearl was inspecting some sort of artifact on the sofa. D-6 was sat next to Steven, his hands pressed against the window in awe. It had only just occured to me that he hadn't seen rain before.

Steven glanced down at me and Yellow Pearl, smiling.
"You guys want any food? We have pizza in the fridge."
Yellow pearl looked at him, confused.
"Pete-zah? Piz-zaaaah?"
Steven laughed. "No silly, Pizza. It's like, bread with tomato and basil and other things. It's like, the best thing on Earth."

"Oh, I know what the best thing in earth is" Yellow smirked

Steven ran over to the fridge and pulled out a plate with a few pieces of Pizza on. It looked a few days old, but I was so hungry I wasn't going to refuse it.

Yellow pearl held it up with a dainty hand and sniffed it, disgust in her face.
"What do you do with it?" She asked me as I took a bite. Holding up the flaccid slice, she nibbled at the tip. Her expression crumple as she recoiled, dropping the pizza.

The rain started to trickle down outside as me and Yellow sat on Steven's bed, watching telly. She seemed fixated by every advert, especially reality TV, watching with curiosity at the perfect bodies of the contestants. The show we were watching was some talk show - like Dr.Phil or Jeremy Kyle kind of thing
.
"It's stupid how people go on these" Yellow pearl said incredulously "They go on with the intent of having their problems sorted out, but instead they mocked and ridiculed"

"That's just how reality TV is" I replied, taking another bite of the reheated pizza. The pattered on outside as we looked out on to the waves, each one more violent than the last. A proper storm was brewing.

"Y/N? Where's D-6?" Yellow pearl asked, her eyes still glued to the screen. I hadn't really thought about D-6, it had been a good 3 or 4 hours since I'd last seen him. Leaning over to look around the house, my eyes scanned the room. Empty, apart from pearl was was sat on the sofa with some sort of puzzle.

"Hey, urm, ma'am?" I began, looking down at her from the raised platform "Haven't seen D-6 at all have you?"
"Not a chance, isn't he supposed to your responsibility?" Pearl replied In a snarky tone. I don't think she liked me very much, but ignored it and left Yellow to her TV watching.

It was after a few minutes of wandering around that I found him. D-6 was sat outside on the steps, soaked though, watching the rain fall.
"Hey" I walked over and sat down next to him.
"This is what rain is like." D-6 muttered in a haze "We never for rain in the zoo. It was alwyas artificial. Every was artificial now that I think about it. No choice. No name."

"Yeah, that place sucked, luckily we're here now" I said, looking back to the house.

"I miss it, kind of. Not having to choose, having everything chosen for me. Including you."

"What?"

"You were chosen for me afterall, O-77. We're meant to be together."
I sighed, looking onto the crashing waves.
"Look, D-6. We're free now and we have the right to to chose. And I don't chose to be with you."

Confusion swept across his face.
"Then who do you chose to be with?"
I looked back to the house and stood up, my hair dripping.
"I haven't chosen yet but I know who."