viii

clay

"you're the boy of my dreams."

clay's eyes widen and his heart starts beating like crazy. his face reddens as he ducks his head.

"i-i'm the boy of your dreams?" clay breathes.

"it's because i really really like you.. dream."

"you- what?"

blue averts his eyes in embarrassment and claps a small hand over his mouth.

"did i just say that out loud?" blue whispers, his voice soft and taut, hinged with worry.

clay does not respond. clay can't believe this is happening. a moment like this could make the sky fall and the lands flood. it was a moment of celebration and happiness yet was filled with worry and apprehension. an anxious cry on a calm night. blue was tugging at clay's sweater.

"clay- clay, dream!" blue's voice shakes as he grips at clay's fabric. "answer me please!"

"blue," clay says mellow but stern, as he tips up the smaller boy's head to stare into his gentle brown eyes, where tears had begun to pool at the corners.

"dr-dream?" blue asks in just the trace of a voice. he digs his head into the crook of clay's neck, wet tears finally spilling out. "dream, do you- do you not like me back?"

"of course i like you blue," clay reassures blue, tiny fingers drawing an invisible heart onto the smaller boy's tipped up cheek that had been washed with tears. "you're everything that i could have asked for and i'll never ever let you go."

"you promise?" blue sniffles into clay's sweater.

"I promise."