nine

Dream

"Blue? Is this.. you?"

"D-Dream."

Blue. That word tasted so familiar yet so foreign on his tongue. Blue. Blue. Blue.

"I can't believe it's actually you!" Dream gives a small laugh. "It is you isn't it?"

Blue. Eight years ago. The boy he had sworn to find again. And he had found. Blue was finally found. Blue was standing there in the flesh, right in front of him. How could he have forgotten? How could he have not recognized the face of his Blue? It was all so familiar now as the pieces fell into place. How didn't he recognize the pretty swoop of George's hair. Or the deep brown eyes that were always reflecting the gears twisting and turning in his mind? Or the pink lips that he so desperately wanted to kiss.

George. George, George, George. That was Blue's name all along wasn't it. George. Dream liked that. It suited him.

"It's been so long, Dream," George breathed, eyes radiating his feelings as it always has. "How come I didn't remember it was you?"

So it's true. This really is happening. In all honesty, Dream would have said yes. He had felt the same way about George. He loved him with all his heart. And he still did. Even before all of... this. Dream would have gone through with it. Throwing away 'the promise' to be with the boy standing in front of him. But the guilt would have eventually crushed him. Dream was scared of losing himself and dragging George down along with him.

But now that everything had been uncovered. There was no fear now. Only the joy and disbelief of it all. No more of the stupid self- conflicting emotions that were secretly brewing from within. It was all about George now. George.

Dream gasped a laugh of realization and scooped up George into his arms. George shrieked, and batted at Dream's arms. George's screams were a melody to Dreams ears. It always has been.

"Dream, PUT ME DOWN!"

Dream wheezed, then pressed George tighter to his chest to make a point. In that split second, Dream could swear he heard their hearts thumping in rhythm together. Then George broke the silence.

"Dream! We have to catch up!" George grumbled into Dream's hoodie.

With another small chuckle Dream finally lowered George back onto the ground. George breathed a sigh of relief before turning to glare at the taller boy, "what was that?!"

"A pickup line," Dream said on the spot, then started to rasp-laugh uncontrollably. "George will you go on a date with me?"

"Dream!" George scolded, staring up at a chuckling Dream. "Stop that!"

Dream stopped chuckling when their eyes met. His breath hitched as it always did when their gazes lock. The frantic fluttering in his chest was ready to burst as Dream cracked a lopsided grin and ran a hand through his hair. George flushed and looked down, smiling.

"So," Dream said.

"So," George responded.

"We found each other after all didn't we?" Dream gives another warm smile to George.

"We did," George laughed, stepping closer to Dream. He wrapped his arms around the taller boy, resting his head in the bend of Dream's neck as he always does. The puzzle piece still fits. This brought butterflies and warm embers to Dream's stomach.

"I guess this means we can do whatever we missed doing as little children," Dream said, ruffling George's hair around.

"Yeah," George paused for a moment before speaking again. "I don't think we missed doing anything though, although my memory is a bit groggy. We were quite the feisty bunch."

Dream's breath caught again. "I can name one thing we missed doing."

"Really?" George giggled.

"Yeah. This." Dream tipped George's head up with a thumb to meet his searing stare. George was wearing a half-smile and a dusted pink face that made Dream lose focus for one second. Dream felt as if he was burning inside, as if needles of fiery coal was piercing his skin. Flame roared in his ears as George's gaze lowered from his eyes to his nose, then to his lips. Dream felt it like George did. The need and the want to feel the other's lips on his. And Dream gave in. It felt soft, smooth, and so so warm. Chills ran down his spine as George finally returned the kiss. Their lips met perfectly, as if they were made for each other. Dream lifted an arm and cupped George's face in his hand, tilting his head up ever so slightly.

In that moment, everything had melted away except for the passion and fire that burnt.

All the worries that had been there were already gone. Melted into the ground.

After that moment, everything else in the world could have disappeared.

But Dream didn't care. Because George was found.