Quinn

Later that night...

I can't believe it was that easy. After I had stolen the key, I decided to break into his office.
As I crept down the hallway to get to his office, my conscience started acting up. I hate it when my conscience acts up.
You know this is wrong, my angel said.
They have been keeping secrets, my devil said.
It's breaking and entering.
You have a right to know.
It's wrong.
It became right when they started keeping secrets from you. And Zack for that matter.
I couldn't argue with that, so I continued on. After a few steps, I was facing the door, and I was scared. I was scared for what I would find out. This information could and probably will change my and everyone else's life forever. I took a deep breath and reached for the doorknob. The door opened with a creek and I winced. I was two floors below anyone who might be asleep but that didn't mean someone wasn't awake, let alone the help. That maid Abby was a tattletale.

As quick as I could I went in and unlocked the filing cabinet. Jeez! Carter was the sloppiest filer ever. I didn't have enough time to sort through it all so I did the only logical thing. I took everything, from every drawer, and then locked it back up. I kept the key of course so that he wouldn't open it one day to see everything missing (though that would be really funny).

I ran up to my room as fast as I could with all the folders hugged to my chest. I closed my bedroom door and dumped everything on the bed. I sat down and started to go through the folders. Most of it was just bills, receipts, and old case files from when he was a lawyer. Just when I was going to give up, a folder caught my eye. It had my name on it. Why would it have my name on it?
I opened it with my heart hammering. The first paper was my birth certificate. It read, "Quinn DuBois, Birthday?. Parents: Bianca Dubois & Luke DuBois." My dad wasn't my dad. MY DAD WASN'T MY DAD! My whole life was a lie. I gasped from a realization. Uncle Luke was my dad. This was wrong. This couldn't be true. Bianca wouldn't cheat on Andrew. I know she wouldn't, would she? How well did I really know her? I took a deep breath and decided to put aside my own problems until later. I was on a mission after all.
I looked through the folders until I came to one that had Zack's name on it. Just like mine, the first page was his birth certificate. I skipped right to his parents. It read, "Brittany Smith & Thomas DuBois. I was right! Unlike my folder, I looked at the next page. There were official documents saying that Zack was adopted by Bianca and Andrew. There was also a letter....

Dear Carter,
We must keep this a secret. No one is to know what has transpired. Bianca and I have adopted him to keep the schools from finding out. We have to keep Zachariah from knowing his origins, so I have invited you and your family to keep him from finding out his relations. Thank you for your agreement.
From,
Andrew

Figures it would be Andrew to keep all of this a secret, but what had happened that was so bad? I looked through the rest of the folder, but it was just all of Zack's medical records.
I sighed. At least I found out some information. I gasped. Zack should know this information! I bolted to his room with the folder.