Chapter 1: The Commander

"Is it true?" you asked in hushed tones as the carriage rattled through the streets. "Did Commander Dawk really murder someone and leave the body in the middle of the MP training grounds?"

"I don't believe so," Commander Erwin muttered. "But we're going to find out."

"But...why, sir? If I may ask..." you replied tentatively. "I mean, it's up to the Military Police to investigate murders. We Scouts don't have any authority in this case."

"True, we may not have official authority," Erwin stated. "All the same, I'd like to see what we can do for Nile. Our regiments may not always agree, but I believe that humanity is better off if the Military Police are in his hands instead of someone else's. He at least tries to do the right thing."

You nodded. You had formed more-or-less the same impression of the Military Police commander. He didn't strike you as the type to commit murder. And if Erwin didn't believe it either...

The rest of your carriage ride was spent in silence. When you arrived at your destination, Erwin exited first, followed by you and Captain Levi. You were there as Erwin's assistant. Levi was there because...well, his past had afforded him with certain experience on the subject of homicide.

Nile was being kept under house arrest in his quarters at the Military Police barracks. The three of you quickly made your way to his room, escorted by a few MP's. Because of Erwin's status as a regiment commander, you were allowed in to speak with Nile.

You and Levi hung back while Erwin talked with his old...friend? Were they friends? You weren't sure. Their two regiments were constantly at odds with each other, but Erwin still seemed fairly cordial with Nile.

"I'll get straight to the point," Erwin stated. "Did you do it?"

"It doesn't matter," Nile said resignedly. "All the evidence says I did. There's no getting around that."

Erwin sighed. "Is there anything we can do?"

Nile shook his head.

From your spot on the sidelines, you were completely taken aback. You almost couldn't believe what you were hearing. "But that's absurd!" you blurted.

Everyone's eyes snapped to you, and you couldn't help feeling a little uncomfortable. However, it didn't stop you from explaining yourself. "I mean, if you really didn't do it – which I don't believe you did – then there has to be some evidence of that somewhere, right? If you could just catch the real killer, your name would be cleared."

Nile scoffed. "That's a lot easier said than done," he muttered bitterly. "And in case you haven't noticed, I'm under house arrest, so it's not as if I can go investigate this."

Your expression fell. "So you're just going to give up?" you asked quietly.

Nile's eyes softened. "Look, I appreciate your concern, but there's nothing left to do. It's over."

A heavy silence fell upon the room.

At last, you set your jaw and muttered stubbornly, "No. I don't accept that."

Nile blinked in surprise. "Why won't you let this go?" he asked incredulously. "Why do you care so much? Our two regiments have been rivals for longer than anyone can remember. We've disagreed more times than I can count."

You held his stare as you replied, "We may disagree, but at the end of the day, I believe that you try to act in humanity's best interest. In that, we are aligned, though our ideas of what is best may vary. I believe that humanity is better off with you at the head of the Military Police, rather than someone less principled. But more than that..." You took a breath, and your voice softened. "...if you really didn't murder anyone, then helping to prove your innocence is simply the right thing to do."

Nile seemed at a loss for words.

"If I may make a suggestion..." Erwin began gently. "Nile, you said that you can't investigate this yourself, so why not have someone else investigate it for you? Someone you trust?"

Nile scoffed. "To tell you the truth, I'm not sure there are any officers who fit that description. As loath as I am to admit it, most of the soldiers in this regiment only serve themselves. They obeyed me while I was in power, but now that I'm almost certain to lose my command, they'll all jump ship. The higher-ranking ones have probably already started fighting over who will succeed me."

Nile went silent, but a moment later, his despair seemed to turn into something else. His brow furrowed in thought as he stared at the ground. To your surprise, when he finally glanced up, his eyes fixated on you.

Nile held your gaze for a long time, clearly debating something with himself. Finally, he seemed to reach a decision. He walked to his desk, scribbled something on a piece of paper, then handed it to you. "Here," he stated. "While I still have some authority left."

You took a quick glance at the words. Then your eyes snapped up in astonishment. "This is..."

Nile nodded. "I'm giving you a temporary transfer and making you the acting second-in-command of the Military Police. All of our resources will be at your disposal. So please, find out who really did this."

"But...I'm a Scout..." you stammered. "I can't just..."

"Look, I'll admit that we don't know each other very well," Nile conceded, "but all the same, I can tell you're more trustworthy than any MP I've worked with. Besides, you must be pretty smart if you're Erwin's assistant." He looked to your commander. "You don't mind if I borrow her, do you?"

Erwin shook his head. "I agree with (f/n) on this. I'd rather have you in charge than someone else."

"Then it's settled," Nile declared, turning back to you. "If you need anything, ask Captain Shinya Kogami. His motives can be hard to discern, but I trust him more than the others. Besides, given your new rank, he'll be obligated to follow your orders, though he can be rather...independent."

Still in shock, you nodded numbly.

Without another word, the three of you turned to go. You were the last out, but before you crossed the threshold, Nile called, "(L/n)?"

You turned, and he murmured, "Thank you."

------------------------------------------

When the three of you arrived back at the carriage, Erwin stopped and turned to you. "Well, it looks like this is goodbye, for a little while. I don't need to tell you how important it is that you clear Nile's name."

"Yes, sir."

Erwin nodded. "Levi, stay with her. Combined, I'm certain the two of you can figure this out."

Levi grunted in acknowledgement.

Without much fanfare, Erwin got in the carriage and rode off. You watched him go, feeling your heart sink further into your stomach. What had you gotten yourself into?

"So, Vice Commander," Levi began, pulling you from your anxious thoughts, "where do we start?"

You thought for a moment. "The crime scene, I guess. I want to see what you can get from it, and we can ask if the MP's have already figured out anything."