Chapter 7: The Visionary

The next day, you and Levi traveled to Scout Regiment Headquarters.

"I assume you have a good reason for ordering soldiers to watch me every hour of the day," Erwin muttered when you walked into his office.

You grimaced. "Yeah, I'm really sorry about that, sir. But it's for your own protection. The regiment commanders are being framed for murder, but as long as you have a rock-solid alibi, no one can pin anything on you."

"I can't get any work done, either," he muttered. As a commander, most of his tasks were too confidential to be performed under the watchful eyes of regular soldiers, especially those of another regiment.

"Again, I'm really sorry, sir," you repeated.

Erwin shook his head. "I suppose I can't fault you. Have you made any progress with the case?"

"Yes, actually," you stated, filled with a fresh sense of alertness as your mind got back on track. "We came to discuss what we found with Captain Kogami."

"He went to survey the grounds, Vice Commander," one of the MP guards told you. "He might not be back for an hour or more, but we can try to find him, if you like."

You shook your head, not wanting to interrupt in case Kogami was on to something. "We'll wait."

------------------------------------------

Just as the sun was setting, the three of you gathered in your office. Kogami listened intently while you relayed everything that you had learned at the brothel. Then it was his turn to share.

"Nothing interesting yet," he grumbled, sounding disappointed. "The first two bodies were found within almost exactly twenty-four hours of each other. But that mark passed twelve hours ago, and still nothing."

"Maybe it's because he knows we're watching Erwin," you mused, looking thoughtfully out the window. You had a clear view of the training grounds, which had just emptied because the sun was going down. "Not only is it impossible to frame the commander, but if Makishima showed up now, with so many officers here, there's a good chance he would be caught."

"Then maybe we should send the guards away," Kogami suggested.

You whipped your head around to face him. "And use Commander Erwin as bait?" you asked, shocked. "The public outcry from this is already huge. If one more military commander is suspected of murder –"

"But if we don't take the risk, we'll never catch the real killer," Kogami stated coldly.

Your breath caught in surprise. The statement sounded so similar to what Commander Erwin always said. Sometimes, in order to win, you have to risk it all.

"Okay, fine," you acquiesced. "The three of us will stay here, and we'll order all the other officers to leave. I just hope we'll be enough."

"We'll have to be," Kogami muttered. Then he left to dismiss the soldiers that were guarding Erwin.

While he was gone, you and Levi sat in silence. You were mulling over the details of the case yet again, and you were sure that Levi was doing the same. Unfortunately, neither of you had any breakthroughs before Kogami returned.

"They're leaving now," he informed you.

"Mmm," you hummed in acknowledgement. Your eyes once again drifted to the window as you lost yourself in thought. Your mind vaguely registered the trees, and the training equipment, and the...

You jumped from your seat and nearly slammed your face against the glass. "Another body!" you screamed.

Both Levi and Kogami rushed to the window, which you were now hastily yanking open. You jumped out, glad that you had donned your ODM gear this morning. Within seconds, your feet hit the ground, and you were racing to the gruesome scene that hadn't been there five minutes ago.