Chapter 4: The City of Sin

The three of you stepped out of the carriage at the entrance to the Underground City. Captain Kogami immediately proceeded down the steps, but you hung back, discreetly observing Levi.

"Are you sure?" you whispered.

As Levi stared down expressionlessly into that darkness, he murmured, "I'm sure." Then he started walking.

You walked alongside him, staying as close as you could without making him trip. You couldn't hold onto him right now, but you wanted him to always know that you were there.

You had never been to the Underground City before, and you couldn't help glancing around curiously while recalling all the stories that Levi had told you. If you had to think of one word to describe it, you would say it was rotting. Everywhere you looked, the century-old buildings were crumbling and falling away. Dirty, starving people were slumped all over the filthy streets, without purpose and without hope. Of course, there were also people who were walking – money-grubbing merchants, as well as certain individuals that sent a chill down your spine. All different kinds of rot, but rotting all the same.

You were glad that Captain Kogami had encouraged you and Levi to change out of your uniforms before coming here. Not that Levi needed to be told. He knew how much these people resented the military – particularly the MP's.

The three of you walked dozens of blocks through the twisting streets, until at last, you arrived at Club Spade. Despite the fact that it was still early afternoon, the party was in full swing. Then again, since the Underground was always dark, you imagined that time didn't mean much around here.

A man who was as tall and burly as Mike blocked the entryway. "Never seen you before," he grumbled.

"We're private investigators," Kogami replied smoothly. "We're here to ask about Jac Mardlin. He was found dead this morning."

The bouncer grunted. "Don't know why anyone would care. But whatever. Pay the cover and you can go in. Just don't cause any trouble, or someone will find you dead."

"Thanks, friend," Kogami said with fake geniality as he handed him a wad of cash.

The bouncer counted it before nodding to a few others, who began searching the three of you for weapons. Once they were done, the first man stepped aside, allowing you and the captains to enter.

Club Spade certainly was a party – perhaps too much of a party. Both the main floor and the balcony were filled with scantily-clad women and dangerous-looking men, all with drinks in their hands. There was a bar off to your right, and an enormous dance floor in the middle. A band on stage was playing a type of music that you had never heard before, while couples writhed together below them, packed so tightly that they couldn't move without bumping someone. As you watched the dancers, you suddenly felt very uncomfortable, and you had to look away.

"Well, we won't learn anything by standing here," Kogami stated. "Grab a drink. Try to blend in." Then he walked off somewhere, leaving you standing awkwardly next to Levi.

"Um," you muttered, unsure of what to do.

To your surprise, Levi slid his arm around your waist. "Relax," he whispered in your ear. "Act like you're having fun."

He led you over to the bar and ordered drinks – scotch for himself, and something fruity for you. You took the glass tentatively, staring at the unfamiliar red liquid within, trying to work up the courage to take a sip.

"Don't drink that," Levi hissed.

You immediately pulled the glass away from your lips. "Why?"

"The bartender spiked it."