Chapter 9: The Chase

A bomb.

Makishima would destroy the Capitol, and dozens of important government officials along with it. It didn't matter if Premier Zachary survived or not, because either way, Makishima could frame him for the crime – effectively obliterating any public confidence in the military, while at the same time, weakening the government. He would kill two birds with one stone.

"Can you stop it?" you asked desperately. Your mind was racing, trying to figure out what you should do.

"I can try," Kogami replied grimly. "It might take me a while."

"We may not have that kind of time," Levi grumbled. "Who knows when the bomb will go off? Not to mention, Makishima is getting away."

The dilemma was so stressful that it reminded you of how you felt when you faced titans. But thankfully, those encounters had taught you to remain calm under pressure. You took a deep breath, then quickly broke down the situation. "Okay, we have three objectives: one, disable the bomb; two, get everyone in the building to safety; and three, catch Makishima, if we can even find him."

"He left a trail," Levi observed, pointing out more droplets of blood on the ground. "Looks like it leads back toward the sewer. We must have passed each other again."

You made a snap decision. "I'll warn the people upstairs. Levi, go after Makishima. Kogami..." You hesitated briefly, hating to ask this of him. But you had no other choice.

"I got it," he muttered, trying to reassure you with a confident smirk. Then he turned to Levi, his expression becoming serious. "Just make sure you get the bastard for me, okay?"

Levi nodded.

------------------------------------------

You sprinted up the steps and through the forgotten storeroom.

"There's a bomb underneath the building!" you yelled to the receptionist. "Get everyone out now!"

Immediately, she started moving, along with others in the vicinity who had heard you. They had protocols for emergency evacuation, and you were sure that they would get everyone to safety as quickly as possible.

Now that your task was done, you ran outside, past the gate, to the spot where you had placed an undercover officer. "Where's the entrance that Kogami used to get into the sewer?" you asked him breathlessly.

"There," he stated, pointing it out.

"Okay," you panted. "Listen, there's a bomb underneath the building. I've already told the staff. I want you to find the other soldiers we brought here and make sure they get to safety."

"Yes, ma'am!" he boomed as he saluted you. Then he rushed off.

You made your way to the manhole and pulled the grate away. When you looked down, you were relieved to see that the sewer wasn't completely dark. The light from this grate, as well as others, provided enough visibility that you wouldn't be blind in most areas.

You sat on the edge and, after taking a deep breath to steel yourself, you slipped down into the sewer. It smelled even worse here than it did in the basement, but you had bigger problems right now. You stood quietly and listened, trying to ignore the noise from the street above you.

Eventually, you heard it – running footsteps echoing off the stone walls. And they were coming closer.

You slipped behind a corner and waited.

Suddenly, the footsteps changed direction. They were now moving away from you...

You growled in frustration and emerged from your hiding spot, just as a second pair of footsteps approached. Before you even had time to call Levi's name, he had turned a corner, racing after Makishima.