Chapter 10: The Close

"Well, (l/n), the entire military owes you a debt of gratitude," Nile stated as he stood across from you in his office. Now that the real murderer had been revealed, he had been released, and his name was cleared. He was back to having full authority over the Military Police. "So for my part, I'll say that if there's ever anything you need, anything at all, I am at your disposal."

"Thank you, sir," you replied graciously. "But at the moment, I'd really just like to return this." You handed back the paper which he had originally given to you – the one that made you his vice commander.

He took the document with a small, rueful smile. "Well, I suppose I did say that our arrangement was temporary," he muttered. "Are you sure I can't convince you to stay? After all, you caught a criminal that my officers have been chasing for years. I'd love to have someone of your aptitude within our ranks permanently."

You shook your head. "My place is with the Scouts, sir. Besides, I didn't solve this case alone. I never could have done it without Levi and Kogami. And since we're on the subject, if you are looking for a new Vice Commander, I think Kogami would be a great candidate. He may come off as cold and mysterious, but he's an excellent detective, and an embodiment of everything that the Military Police should be."

The commander's expression softened. "Not a bad idea. After all, he is the hero who saved everyone in the Capitol building by disarming a bomb. Public opinion of him is currently through the roof. Not to mention, the premier himself was impressed."

As he should be, you thought. "Well, if that's all, sir, I should get back to Headquarters. Commander Erwin probably has a lot of paperwork for me to catch up on."

"Of course," Nile replied. Then, to your immense surprise, he saluted you. "You truly are a remarkable soldier, (l/n). Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart."

------------------------------------------

When you returned to your office at Scout Regiment Headquarters, there was indeed a huge stack of paperwork waiting on your desk. You sighed, then sat down and got to work. Although it was tedious, you were glad to get back to some sense of normalcy.

The Makishima investigation had been the most high-profile case in recorded history. Premier Zachary had even wanted to give you a medal for solving it. However, you politely refused. You still weren't quite sure how you should feel about the whole experience, and you preferred to just put it behind you.

Now, you were pleased to be a Scout again, where your job was to fight titans and not people. However, at this particular moment, you felt like something was missing, and you knew exactly what it was.

You hefted your giant stack of paperwork in your arms and made your way to Levi's office.

Levi seemed to have been expecting you, and he had even set out an extra teacup. You smiled as you made your way over to his desk and sat down across from him. Without a word, he poured the tea for you, and then the two of you got to work.

You finished your stack at the same time that Levi finished his. By that point, the moon had already been in the sky for several hours, and you were well beyond tired.

Levi stood and walked around to your chair. Then he placed a hand on your head, ruffling your hair affectionately. "Ready for bed, brat?"

You hummed in reply, smiling up at him.

He helped you to your feet, and the two of you walked hand-in-hand into his bedroom. You quickly showered and changed into pajamas that Levi let you borrow. Then you both snuggled up together in the bed.

However, as comforting as Levi's presence was, you were still restless. And even though you tried to hide it, it seemed that Levi could tell.

"Something on your mind, brat?" he grumbled.

You remained silent for a time, wondering if you should tell him. But this was Levi, and you knew that he would never belittle your concerns. So you took a deep breath and murmured, "I've just been thinking about what Makishima told me the first time we met – his reason for doing what he did."

"To free humanity?" Levi clarified.

You nodded. Then you explained in a voice that was barely audible, "It's just...for a moment, he sounded so similar to the Scouts. To...to me." You swallowed. "I've always felt like humanity is living like livestock inside the Walls, and of course, I joined the Scouts because I want to free humanity. I guess it just feels strange to agree with Makishima about anything, after what he did."

Levi sighed, then began petting your hair in a soothing motion. "You haven't done anything wrong, (f/n). People like Makishima...they're manipulative, and they're very good at making their ideas sound attractive. Maybe he truly even convinced himself that he was doing the right thing. But while his self-proclaimed reasons were right, his methods were wrong, and you saw that. You stopped him, saving hundreds of people's lives in the process. And now, you're back with the Scouts, fighting for freedom the right way."

He pressed a kiss to your forehead. "Don't give him the satisfaction of letting him mess with you even after his death, brat. You know right from wrong. He can't take that from you. In fact, I don't believe anyone could, considering how innately good you are."

Levi's words loosened the knot in your chest, and you glanced up, giving him a soft smile. "Thanks, Levi."

He thumbed your chin affectionately. "Don't mention it, Fairy Dust."

You huffed incredulously. "Not you, too!" you exclaimed as your cheeks turned red, and the smallest smirk appeared on Levi's face.

He chuckled, and despite your indignation, your heart couldn't help but warm at the sound. You had only ever heard him laugh when the two of you were alone, safe and relaxed in each other's arms. That reassuring sound, combined with Levi's teasing, made you forget all about your dark thoughts.

Nothing bad could ever happen here. You were home.

The moment led to a loving kiss between you, and then you snuggled back into the bed. Now that your mind was relieved of Makishima, you were quite ready to catch up on some much-needed rest. So you closed your eyes, breathing in Levi's familiar scent, and letting your head fill with thoughts of how much he loved you.

You were still smiling when you drifted off to sleep.