Chapter 6: The Place He Never Wanted to See Again

Once again, you and Levi walked through the filthy streets of the Underground City, on your way to the brothel where Lola Sanguick had worked. You had been particularly apprehensive about bringing Levi on this part of the investigation, given his past. However, he had insisted, stating that he would be fine and that he wanted to protect you from the dangers down here.

You stuck close to him as you made your way through the winding streets, feeling several pairs of eyes on you no matter which way you went. Even though you were worried about how Levi would react, you were also glad that he was with you. Sure, you were trained in combat and could protect yourself in most situations, but Levi was...well, Levi. There was no safer place than at his side.

Finally, you arrived at the address where Lola Sanguick had worked and lived. "Here we are," you stated, trying to sound positive, but failing miserably. "Let's go."

You were about to take a step, but you paused when you realized that Levi had stiffened next to you. When you glanced at him, he was staring at the brothel with a shocked expression.

"This is..." he breathed.

Suddenly, you figured out where you were, and your heart wrenched. This wasn't just any brothel. It was the one Levi had been born in, and where he had lived for the first few years of his life. It was where his mother had worked and died.

You quickly stepped in front of Levi, trying to block his view of that terrible place. You gently gripped his shoulders in a gesture of solidarity. "Hey, you don't have to go in there," you assured him. "I can take it from here. It's okay."

Levi swallowed. He shook his head, forcing himself to regain his composure. "No. I'm not letting you go in there alone. I'll be fine."

You sighed sadly, then murmured in a quiet voice, "You don't have to be brave all the time, you know."

Levi gazed at you softly before reaching up, gently stroking his fingers along your cheek. "Yes, I do," he murmured.

You were nearly overwhelmed by the amount of love you felt – both for him and from him. He had suffered through so many terrible things, yet he was willing to dive back into that hell for your sake. More than that, he wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Okay," you whispered. But before you stepped into the brothel, you reached down and took his hand.

Levi's stride and expression didn't falter, though you could only imagine how he must be feeling right now. He acted completely unfazed as you walked right into his childhood nightmare.

You felt a lump rise in your throat when you saw the terrible conditions that he had grown up in. The brothel was filthy, and you had to fight the urge to cover your nose. Scantily clad women roamed the main room, marketing their wares to whomever wandered inside.

You felt a sudden surge of gratitude toward Kenny for taking Levi away from this place.

You did your best to ignore the women's sultry stares and walked straight to the counter, where a man stood, writing in a ledger. He wasn't fat, exactly, but he was pudgier than the other people who worked there. You assumed that he was the brothel's owner.

"Excuse me," you muttered.

The man looked up, and Levi tensed. Clearly, he recognized this person.

However, it seemed the man didn't recognize Levi. He plastered an obsequious smile on his face, revealing several missing teeth as he said, "Welcome! What can I do for you fine folks?"

"We're here about Lola Sanguick," you told him quietly, all too aware of the other people in the room who were trying to eavesdrop on your conversation.