Chapter 5: The Second Body

You woke up with a terrible headache. The sun was shining brightly through the window, making it extremely difficult to open your eyes.

"Here, drink this," a familiar voice grumbled next to you.

You squinted at Levi while you sat up, then took the glass from his hands. "What is it?" you mumbled.

"Something that will help," he replied. "Try to drink it fast so you don't taste it."

Still feeling bleary, you obeyed, hacking a little at the terrible sensation on your tongue.

"Water," Levi muttered as he took the first glass and handed you a second one.

You drank greedily, wanting to wash away the awful taste. Once you had emptied the glass, you handed it back to Levi.

"Where are we?" you asked.

"MP barracks," Levi explained. "Kogami let us use a spare room."

"Oh," you muttered, the mention of Kogami suddenly brining back a lot of images from the night before. However, you couldn't remember much after drinking the alcohol – just bits and pieces. "Um...did we..."

"Tch. Of course not," Levi grumbled, though his tone lacked its usual bite. "I wouldn't do that to you."

You stared at the floor, unable to meet his gaze. "I'm sorry," you mumbled.

Levi sighed. "It's not your fault, brat. You were drugged."

"But you warned me," you insisted, wrapping your arms around yourself. "I was stupid –"

You cut off when Levi hugged you, so surprised by the comforting gesture that you stopped speaking. His fingers gently petted your hair, soothing you further.

"Levi?" you breathed.

He pressed a kiss to your cheek. "You weren't stupid, (f/n). You were scared. I should've done a better job of protecting you."

Your brow furrowed, and you hugged him close, willing him to understand that this wasn't his fault. "But you did protect me," you reminded him. "I mean, the details are a little fuzzy, but I know you kept me safe last night. I know you prevented me from doing anything I would regret. I know you didn't take advantage of me." You turned your head to face him, your nose brushing his own as you looked into his eyes. "You're a good man, Levi. Thank you."

The moment led to a tender kiss between you, slow and soft and sweet. You always marveled at how carefully Levi handled you, as if you were the most precious thing in the world. Most people wouldn't have expected that this scarred, calloused man was gentle with the things he loved. But he was.

"So, how badly did I embarrass myself last night?" you asked sheepishly.

"It was pretty bad," Levi teased, the slightest smirk pulling at his lips. "But don't worry, I won't tell anyone. And I don't think Kogami will, either."

You groaned, facepalming as you recalled that Kogami had seen you in your drugged state. If word of that got out, your already-precarious position as vice commander would be completely trashed.

"By the way –" Levi began, but he was cut off by a sharp knock on the door.

"Hey, is she awake yet?" Kogami called.

"Yeah," Levi replied.

Without waiting for permission, Kogami threw the door open. "They found another body," he stated tightly.

Both you and Levi stiffened. "Where?" you asked.

"At the Garrison's headquarters," Kogami explained. "Commander Pixis has been arrested."