Chapter 8

Adrien’s POV:

After second, I went to my third period class which was chemistry. We were doing some experiments dealing with water and certain chemicals. We learned about reactions and reaction rates, yet all I could think of is the dark blue eyes of Marinette. It was hard to focus on anything else, because I knew that if I can’t find out what’s wrong, something bad will happen. The bell rang and I made my way through the hall quickly when I heard Alya yelling, and a small group of students gathering around an open classroom. I walked close to the door listening to what was happening.

“...bags under your eyes that are more prevalent than normal, and you’re ignoring everybody; including ADRIEN!”

Why am I so important, why didn’t she just say everybody? Maybe she’s trying to see if my father had anything to do with it? She gave an exasperated sigh rubbing her temples before looking up and saying,

“ Is that it Alya? I changed my look, I’m tired, and I don’t have a crush him anymore. I’m sorry to disappoint, but I’m over him.”

WAIT, WHAT?! She has-had a crush on me?! Since when? When did she start liking me? Is that why she was always so shy around me? I thought of Ladybug and how amazing she is then I thought about Marinette and how nice and smart she is. I looked away guilt filling my stomach as I ignored this amazing girl and how if she had asked me out, I would have rejected her. If she had asked me today, I still would have rejected her because I’m waiting for M’lady. Is this why she’s been ignoring me, because she doesn’t like me anymore?  

“ I’m wearing all black because pink is too bright and the only reason I’m still carrying these bags around is because I haven’t made new ones yet. I put my hair down because I can’t stand their childish look anymore.”

That’s not Marinette, she wouldn’t say this. Pink is her favorite color, she said pigtails are for anyone, she’s never this negative. What’s going on? Why is she pushing everyone away?!  

“ I have darker bags under my eyes because school is important. I’ve been studying, I’ve been working on designs, not everyone can get a full eight hours of sleep all the gosh darn time! Now please move so I can leave.”

That’s a lie, you’ve been crying. You’ve been hurting and bottling everything up, trying to keep up this strong front. I haven’t seen you design anything since Tuesday. You help everyone around you feel happy, but you won’t let anyone help you. What is going on with you Mari? Why are you trying to shut everyone out?! Why are you yelling at us? Why are you being so cold? She started walking out the door, glaring at everybody that dared to listen in, except me. She didn’t spare me a glance and I think that hurt more than being glared at. I felt my insides sink as I watched her walk down stairs, past the courtyard, and out of the doors. It was lunch right now, so maybe she went back to her house to eat. Everybody was watching her, watching the student that was once always happy, never letting anything get her down, become a shell of what she used to be. We all watched as she isolated herself from the world.  No one stopped her, no one knew how to stop her. Her eyes held a fire...a fire that was so hot, yet so cold. No...They held dry ice. Ice that is so cold, that it can burn. No one dared to follow her.  Maybe I should? Maybe I should make sure she is ok, but then she would get even more upset.

I decided to just watched her leave. She walk out the door and left. I left to the lunch room and it was silent, except for a few tables here and there that didn’t know what had just happened. I sat with Alya and Nino who were still in shock.

“ So, how long did you guys know?”

“ Know what?”

Alya asked, still a little shaken up.