Is That My Scarf?

Sam sighed to herself as she drove her car to Jack's cabin, which she was now living at. Today hadn't been a good day at work. She hadn't been able to finish some calculations in time, which overall resulted in the loss of several brave soldiers lives. Things like this happened, she knew, but it made you feel terrible inside. The cold air didn't help, or the snow that had piled up on the road.

By the time she was home, it was already dark out. She looked out onto the lawn, and saw that the porch lights were on. Strange, she thought. Jack was usually inside. Instead she saw him out in the front lawn, all bundled up with a smile on his face. Now she didn't really feel like dealing with him. She just wanted to go straight to bed, no supper or anything.

"Hey!" He called to her as she got out of the car.

"Hey," she replied back in a calm, hardly enthusiastic voice. Jack noticed right away of course, but he pretended to ignore it.

"Look what I made while you were gone!" Just a few feet from him was a round, well shaped snowman, just as tall as he was. It was really detailed too, with buttons down its back and across its face as an eye and mouth. There was even a carrot for its nose. Sam stared at it for several seconds. Leave it to her husband Jack to make a snowman.

"Is that my scarf?" She asked. Wrapped around the snowman's neck, was a familiar looking soft blue scarf. Jack shrugged.

"It was getting cold," he said innocently. Sam couldn't help but smile.

"I'll leave it to you to build a snowman while I was busy at work."

"I made supper too," Jack said in his defense. "Soup!"

"No cake?" Sam teased. Jack had a slight obsession with that.

"I was hoping you would make me one this weekend..." Jack said.

"Don't count on it. I've got a lot of work." Sam started to head towards the house. She was starting to feel that guilt rising again.

"Work," Jack said with a teasing edge to his voice. Sam always used that excuse when she didn't want to talk, or she didn't feel good.

"Well I've got a snowball!" He threw one right at her back. Sam let out a surprised cry, then turned to face Jack with a determined glint in her eyes.

"Are you asking for a fight?" Jack shrugged, giving Sam just enough time to pelt him with a snowball.

"That hurt more than the time you attempted to splint my leg!" Jack said. Sam just laughed and threw another snowball at him.

The two engaged in a snowball fight, throwing one ball of snow right after another at each other. The cold didn't seem to matter anymore, only how fun it was.

Jack eventually pelted Sam with several snowballs, then ran over and wrapped her in a warm bear hug. He kissed her ontop of the head and held her close. "Feel better?" He asked her.

"Yes," Sam replied truthfully. Jack had a way to make her feel better when she was feeling down. That was one of the reasons she loved him.

"Let's go inside now. I'm cold," Jack said.

"I'm warm here in your arms." Sam leaned up and kissed Jack. Oh, how they loved each other.