Let It Snow

It was Christmas Eve, and Sam was over at Jack's cabin. He was retired now, and there really wasn't anything standing between them, not anymore.

Sam wasn't really sure what they had. They both knew they loved each other, and that they didn't belong with anyone else, but their relrelationship was anything but simple. It was complicated. Sam was busy a lot of them time at work, so she didn't get to see Jack much. Of course, she made an effort to since it was Christmas eve after all.

They had only talked, exchanged a few laughs and smiles, as Sam always did around Jack. Would it seem to out of place if she kissed Jack? She wanted to, but she wasn't sure. It also didn't help that he would never make a move on her. She had to be the first one to take a step, and she wasn't really sure how to.

"Well, it's icing, and snowing, still" Jack said as he came back into the living room, a few beer bottles in his hand. He handed one to Sam, but she turned it down.

"I'm good." If she didn't plan on going home, she might've taken one to calm her nerves. She loved Jack, but did he know?

Jack shrugged. "Okay then."

There was another pause of complete silence. "So..." Sam didn't know what else to say.

"What are Daniel and Teal'c up to?" Jack asked.

Sam was relieved to get a question. "Daniel had some work to do, and Teal'c went back to Dakara."

"A vacation?" Jack faked surprise.

"Not really. There were some troubles with the Jaffa. Teal'c went to smooth things out."

"Ah, yes. His brutal silence should make them corporate."

Sam nodded, and another silent spell fell. Why was it so hard to talk to Jack? She'd known him for over eight years now.

"So it's just you and me," Jack said. He was just as nervous, but Sam didn't seem to catch on.

"I, uh, I should get home." Sam pointed to the door. Jack caught her before she could turn around and leave.

"Carter, did you not here about the ice and snow?"

"Well, right." Now she was starting to feel embarrassed.

"I know you risk your life all the time, but driving in these weather conditions isn't exactly the same."

Jack motioned for her to come sit next to him. She took a seat beside him on the couch, watching the snow fall heavily out the window.

Jack watched her, caught up in her beauty. They didn't know how to reach each other. For years, they'd waited, and now, they didn't know how to make it happen, or what to say.

"You can stay tonight, Sam." He said her name. It was the first step forwards in breaking that barrier that kept them apart. Sam turned around and faced him.

Suddenly, she didn't feel as nervous anymore. Only warm. "Thanks Jack." Her deep blue eyes focused on him for a while, until she leaned in close to him, resting on his shoulder.

It felt almost natural now, safe. Jack placed his beer down, and watched Sam for several seconds. Finally, he placed his arms around her, and pulled her in close.

There wasn't a barrier between them anymore. Just love. It felt so warm and right. For once, they were able to accept the fact that they could be together.

"So..." Jack trailed off.

"I love you," Sam said. Her voice was angelic and soft, and hearing that made Jack's heart stop almost.

"You beat me to it!" Jack said. He kissed the top of her head, and Sam smiled. She didn't feel any doubt anymore. She loved Jack, and he loved her. "I love you too," he whispered in her ear. She snuggled in a little closer to him.

It felt like a fairytale. True love, that's what it was. "The weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful," Jack began. Sam looked up to him, and saw that half smiling look on his face.

"Since we've no place to go..." Sam joined him.

"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow," they sang together. Yes, everything was alright Sam knew. Her relationship with Jack...well, who knew what it was? It was love. As long as they loved each other, they belonged together.