Chapter Two

Trigger Warning for Verbal Abuse

"-and if you need anything, just ask the guys next door." This is what Stan woke up to. Ford was still sleeping, to which Stan smiled. Yet, he was a bit annoyed at the nurse. What did she not understand about his brother needed rest?

"I think I'll be fine alone, thanks," a new voice said. It had this odd familiarity to it. Then Stan remembered what the nurse told Ford and him. This kid risked his life to protect his twin sister. Maybe this child wasn't so bad after all.

The door opened and closed, signaling the nurse left. Stan took this as an opportunity to introduce himself, "Hey kid! I'm one of the "guys next door" as the nurse said. Now, I know she said you could ask us if you needed anything. But, you have to understand my brother needs his rest!"

"I completely understand sir! As I told the nurse, I'll be fine alone!"

Stan smiled. Maybe this kid wouldn't be so bad after all, "So, what's your name?"

The kid was silent for a few moments. "Are names really important? Just call me Ursa Major."

"Like... the constellation?" A voice grumbled. Stan looked behind him to see that Ford was up.

"Exactly like the constellation!"

Ford looked at Stan, "Do we... know him?"

Stan shrugged, "I thought his voice sounded familiar too..."

While the Stans were trying to figure out where they knew Ursa Major from, the child's phone started ringing.

"Sorry to interrupt your rest sirs, but I need to take this call. It's my sister and-"

"It's alright kid! Go talk to your sister! I'm sure she's worried about you!" Stan exclaimed.

The kid chuckled and sighed, "I doubt that," he replied, answering his phone.

"Hello?"

"Ugh, hey-" a female voice replied. This kid didn't realize he had speaker phone on. However, neither of the Stans wanted to interrupt his call by telling him. Besides, Stan wanted to listen to what his sister had to say. Why wouldn't his sister be worried about him?

"Do... do you have anything to say to me?" Ursa Major asked nervously.

"Like what?" The female snapped.

"I don't know... I miss you? Thank you maybe..."

"Thank you? Thank you for what? Stalking me? Almost killing me? You may've took that gunshot wound in my place, but it was your fault we ended up like that in the first place!" The girl yelled.

Stan was shocked. Where did she learn this language? It reminded Stan of when Ford first emerged from the portal. How Stan worked for 30 years to save his brother and didn't even get a thank you until the fate of the world depended on it.

Stan then looked over at Ford, who was looking down.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry..." Ford murmured to himself. Stan frowned. He wanted to scream at this kid's sister. The poor boy almost died only for him to be blamed for the incident.

"Look, I know it's my fault. But, I have to go. See, I'm sharing a room right now and, no offense but I think you're making them uncomfortable," Ursa Major pleaded.

"Ugh, you actually think other people care about you? You know I'm the only one who really does. If I wasn't there, you wouldn't be in the hospital. You'd be dead!"

"Yeah, you're right. You're always right. I have to go, bye!" The kid ended the call. The three of them were silent for awhile.

"So... that's your sister?" Stan asked after a few minutes.

"I'm really sorry about her. I'm sorry for bothering you two. I know you're trying to rest and-"

"No kid! I'm glad we're sharing a room!" Stan exclaimed. "Listen to me. What she said wasn't okay! At all! I mean, you could've died, just to protect her!"

"My brother's right!" Ford chimed in. "And other people do care about you! Though we've only known you for a couple of hours, we care about you!"

Ursa Major sounded like he was gonna burst into tears when he mumbled out, "Thank you. Thank you for caring about me-"

"Do your parents know about your sister's awful behavior?" Stan asked.

"They've always favored her. She's more outgoing and is into normal things. Friends, boys, knitting. I tried to tell them. Multiple times. They always thought I was just too weak to handle it," Ursa Major explained. Stan frowned.

"Alright kid! Although we just met, my brother and I will do anything to help you! Absolutely anything!" Stan promised.

"Wow, thanks," The boy smiled, then continued to speak, "If you're going to help me you should probably know my real name. It's Mason Alex Pines, but you can call me Dipper."