Chapter Six

"I want you to stay in bed! You're still healing from your wound," Stan explained. After being discharged, the three of them made their way to the Stan 'O War. Stan and Ford decided to travel back to Gravity Falls. They didn't know what to do after that, but it was a start.

"Yes, Grunkle Stan," Dipper replied. He was feeling a lot better than he was while in the hospital, but something seemed off.

"That goes for you too, Poindexter!"

Ford sighed, "Fine Stanley... just gives me an excuse to hang out with my favorite nephew all day!" Ford smirked and ruffled Dipper's hair.

"You keep an eye on him Dip! Make sure he doesn't get into any of his nerd stuff when he should be resting!" Stan reminded. Dipper smiled slightly and gave a weak thumbs up.

"Let me know if you nerds need anything," Stan said, as he left to steer the boat.

A few moments after Stan left, Dipper spoke up, "Great Uncle Ford?"

"Yes?"

"Do you guys have headache medicine?"

Ford frowned, "Yeah I'm sure we have something. Head bothering you, my boy?"

"Yeah, a bit." Dipper massaged the back of his head. Ford looked sullen as he massaged his own fingers through Dipper's hair. Something caused him to pause abruptly. Ford placed the back of his hand on Dipper's forehead.

"I think you're running a slight fever too. I'll go get you that medicine," Ford explained, gently getting out of bed. Fever. That's why he felt off. Ford returned with the medicine, along with some water and a thermometer, as quickly as he left.

After swallowing the pill a thermometer was placed in Dipper's mouth which confirmed his high body temperature.

"I'm sure you'll be back to yourself in no time," Ford comforted, "but until then it's a two day trip to Gravity Falls and even when we get there you'll most likely be homebound for awhile. Plenty of time to rest up." Dipper had no response to this.

"Dipper?"

Dipper rubbed his eyes, trying to get rid of the tears in them, "Sorry..."

"Feeling that bad, huh?" Ford asked, concerned. Ford had a feeling his nephew's illness was a lot worse than he let on. He saw Dipper go through the apocalypse and not break down. If he was crying due to a fever, he didn't want to imagine how much pain he was in.

"No... I just... I miss Mabel..." He admitted. "She'd always take care of me when I was sick... when we were younger at least. Not so much now, but it's understandable..."

Ford brushed Dipper's bangs out of his eyes, "I know kid. That type of relationship isn't healthy though. Stan and I tried everything we could to try to reunite you with your sister. Please understand, this was our last option."

Dipper looked down, "I know..." Yet, Ford could see how much he wanted his sister.

"So, how would she take care of you?"

"Well, it was a long time ago, so I don't remember that much. But, I remember her staying with me and keeping me company. She'd run her fingers through my hair until I fell asleep. Occasionally she'd read to me or sing to me," Dipper explained. Though he had his eyes closed, he could feel someone giving him a scalp massage.

"Yeah...like that..." Dipper murmured, exhausted. Ford smiled and laid down next to the boy.

"Get some rest, my boy," Ford soothed continuing to stroke his hair. Dipper was out cold in a few minutes.

* * *

A harsh coughing fit snapped Dipper out of his restful sleep. "You're okay, it's okay Dipper," someone, most likely Ford comforted.

Saying he wasn't feeling well was an understatement. Dipper's body was on fire as his stomach twisted and head pounded. He just wanted to go back to sleep, but the pain of his sickness kept him awake.

"Grunkle Ford...?" Dipper wheezed.

"Yes, my boy?"

"Everything hurts..." he whined, coughing some more. Ford placed his hand on Dipper's forehead a second time.

"You do seem a bit warmer," he sighed out.

"'M gonna throw up..." Dipper whimpered.

"Come on," Ford took Dipper's hand and led him to the bathroom, where the boy vomited in the toilet. Ford rubbed the boy's back as Dipper whimpered in pain.

Stan, who heard some of the commotion, entered to see what was going on. A look of concern formed on his face when he saw what was happening.

"Sea sick?" Stan directed the question at his brother.

Ford shook his head, "Fever," he replied.

Stan sat down next to his brother. Dipper's vomiting was reduced to dry heaving. Ford took this as an opportunity to pull Dipper onto his lap, where the boy rested his head on Ford's chest.

"Everything... everything hurts..." Dipper cried, clutching onto Ford's sweater. The Stans frowned at each other.

"Shh, it's alright baby, it's okay," Stan squeezed his shoulder. Baby. The nickname was rarely used for Dipper. He usually insisted that he wasn't a little kid, but Dipper appreciated it's use right now. When he felt too weak to do anything but cry into his grunkle's chest.

The Stans let Dipper sob for awhile as they both did their best to comfort the boy. Soon, Dipper's sobbing turned into soft blubbers.

"Ready to go back to bed?" Ford asked, to which Dipper nodded and stood up. He used the sink to balance himself on shaky feet. The floor seemed to sway under his feet, but before he passed out Stan caught the boy in his arms.

Ford followed as Stan carried Dipper to bed, "Need anything else kiddo?" Stan asked softly.

"N-no..." Dipper murmured. Stan felt his forehead and gave him a kiss.

"Alright, you try to get some rest. And if you can't sleep, just ask Poindexter to sing to you," Stan nudged his brother's arm. Ford looked down and blushed.

"You can sing-" a small coughing fit interrupted Dipper's sentence, "-Grunkle Ford?" He asked.

"Uh, well, I... um..." Ford stuttered. Stan chuckled and ruffled Ford's hair.

"I don't get what your so shy about, sixer! Anyway, you nerds rest up!" Stan chuckled, leaving the continue to steer the boat. Dipper stared at Ford.

"You want me to sing to you, don't you?"

Dipper nodded, "You don't have to, if you're that uncomfortable."

Ford gave a soft smile, "Anything to help my nephew feel better!"

Dipper smiled and closed his eyes as Ford started to sing.

"If I could began to be
Have of what you think of me
I could do about anything
I could even learn how to love

When I see the way you act
Wondering when I'm coming back
I could do about anything
Even learn how to love like you

I always thought I might be bad
Now I'm sure that it's true
Cuz I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you."