Chapter Four

Stan tried to sleep, but no matter how tired he felt, his body refused to surrender to the darkness. Before, he was too worried about his brother to sleep. Now, it was his great nephew whom he was most concerned about.

He wanted to blame his lack of sleep to uncomfortable chair he was forced to sit up in. Though, he knew if the nurse had sent him home it wouldn't have gone much better. He'd be too worried about his family to remember to rest. Besides, the Stan 'O War was too far away to walk, and sleeping in his car wouldn't be much better.

Instead of sleeping, Stan kept an eye on his nephew. It took the boy a bit over an hour to fall asleep, but once his eyes were closed it was as if an earthquake wouldn't be able to keep him up.

He'd hate to admit it, but Stan couldn't get that phone call out of his head. "Why should I thank you?" The boy's sister exclaimed. What he didn't know then, is that the boy's sister was Mabel. Their Mabel. His pumpkin. The girl who refused to give up on him when he lost his memories.

Did she learn this behavior from Ford? But, Dipper said things like this were happening before summer. Was Mabel treating him like this during the summer too?

Stan's heart sunk when he realized he wasn't even surprised. He missed a lot. Half the time he didn't know what the kids were up to. Back then, he thought the kids would be fine. They were twelve, they could get out of any danger they got in.

Yet, a manipulative twin sister? Stan never directly told the kids to stay side by side forever, but it was always implied. He never wanted the twins to be separated because when his brother and him were separated, it ruined their lives.

Stan was too caught up in his thoughts to notice a pair of eyes staring at him, "Grunkle Stan?"

Stan flinched and looked up to where Dipper lay. How long was his nephew in the hospital alone because his family didn't care enough to stay? How long was he under the impression that it was his fault for getting shot?

"Dipper? I... I don't know what to say. I was always under the impression that siblings should never be apart. Cus of what happened to Ford and I. But, if Mabel and you stay together, and more things like this happen..." Stan covered his mouth and looked down.

"I told your sister and you to never be apart, and she took advantage of that. She took advantage of your kind nature to control you and place blame on you. I'm... I'm sorry Dipper!" Dipper was about to reply, but Stan cut him off, "And don't you dare say it's your fault! I promise you, it's not!"

Dipper was silent for a few moments. Stan feared Dipper was upset with him, but he was reassured when he felt a hand squeezing his own. "I really needed to hear that. I... I thought I was just a bad twin or something...thank you..."

Stan smiled sadly, "No kid. You're probably the most selfless person I've ever met."

"I don't know about that! I know someone pretty selfless," Dipper winked and nudged Stan's arm. Stan chuckled.

"We're a lot more alike than most people realize. When we first met, I thought you were more similar to Ford than me. Truth is, you're just both nerds. We're similar because we'd both do anything for our families. Because we both went through hardships to save our twins. Because despite being the "lesser" twin, we still come out on top!"

Though Dipper didn't say it, Stan could see how much his words meant to him. Dipper, careful not to aggravate his wound, hugged Stan tightly. Stan smiled and rubbed Dipper's back to comfort him.

"Thanks again, Grunkle Stan," Dipper yawned and laid back down.

"Get some rest kiddo," Stan placed a kiss on his forehead. "Do you need anything?"

"Just, keep me company until I fall back asleep?" Dipper asked.

Stan eventually fell asleep, head rested on Dipper's hospital bed.