Chapter Three

Stan and Ford looked at each other in shock. They didn't want to believe it, but it was their great nephew. Their great nephew who got shot. Their great nephew who was currently in the hospital alone. Their great niece who screamed at him... not giving him so much as a thank you or her company.

It was Stan who spoke up first, "Thought your sister would be more appreciative after what happened over the summer," he started.

"Oh, well that was my fault. See, we got into an argument and- wait! How do you know about that?" Dipper asked. He didn't realize it was his grunkles in the room next door.

"It wasn't your fault!" Both Stans exclaimed at the same time. Ford spoke up, "and, we know because, well, uh," Ford stuttered. Stan sighed, and entered Dipper's half of the room.

"Because it's us kid!"

Dipper looked at him in shock. He couldn't believe who he was seeing in front of him, "Grunkle Stan?"

"Yeah kid. It's us," Stan started to walk towards Dipper, sitting on the edge of his hospital bed. He gently brushed his fingers through Dipper's hair, lingering for a second on his birthmark.

"I'm... I'm so sorry," Dipper frowned, though Stan had no idea what he was apologizing for.

Stan carefully wrapped the boy into a hug and rubbed his back gently, "You didn't do anything wrong, kid! I just can't believe Mabel would act like that. Was she treating you like this before summer?"

Dipper looked down and didn't respond.

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"It wasn't that important! I got distracted!" Dipper claimed, "and, well my parents didn't believe me. I didn't think you would either..."

Stan frowned, "Alright kid. What happened? Why are you in the hospital?"

"It's my fault, really," Dipper started. "Mabel got a new boyfriend, but he seemed kind of off to me. They had a date, and I kinda followed them, to make sure she'd be okay! Well he pulled out...he pulled out a gun and aimed it at her. I panicked and pushed her out of the way."

Stan smiled, "You'd do anything for your sister! I like that about you! I just can't believe-" Stan trailed off. "When I talk to that girl, she's gonna regret ever saying those things!"

"What! No, don't hurt my sister!" Dipper begged. Stan looked into Dipper's eyes and saw how genuine he was being. 'This kid,' Stan thought. 'Goes through serious injury, doesn't get a thank you, and still isn't angry at all.'

"Dip, you're a much kinder person than me! Y'know that?" Stan questioned, ruffling the boy's hair. "You have a gunshot wound and aren't even upset at your sister! When Poindexter didn't thank me, I gave him the silent treatment until the fate of the world depended on it-"

"Wait!" Dipper looked up, "Why are you here? Where's Great Uncle Ford?"

"I'm right here!" Ford exclaimed, coughing slightly. "And I'm fine!"

Stan rolled his eyes at this, "You're not fine Sixer! We went out to a bar and got into some trouble. Long story short, you're not the only person who got shot!"

"Oh... I hope you get better soon Great Uncle Ford!"

"Same goes for you, my boy," Ford replied.

"Sorry to bother you guys to much. I said I'd be fine alone..." Dipper trailed off. Stan shook his head.

"Eh, that was before we knew it was you kid. We knew your voice sounded familiar, we just couldn't quite place it!" Stan explained.

Dipper smiled at Stan. The door opened and the nurse entered. She had to do a double take when she saw Stan on Dipper's side of the room.

"Sir, you need to stay with your brother," she scolded. "This kid barley knows you!"

"No, he's my grunkle!" Dipper exclaimed, holding onto Stan's hand. The nurse was confused, "Grunkle?"

"Great Uncle," Stan explained. "Why didn't you tell us it was our nephew who was here?"

"Oh! I didn't know you were related. Pines is a common last name after all," she explained, then continued, "I was about to tell you visiting hours are up, but we have this policy if a minor wants an adult to stay with them, they can."

"Dip? Want me to stay?" Stan asked, brushing over Dipper's hair again.

Dipper shrugged, "It's your decision. I know you're probably tired. You should get some rest," Dipper sighed.

"I'll stay! Besides, gives me an excuse to make sure my brother actually rests!" Stan joked. Ford sighed, but chuckled slightly.

The nurse smiled at the two and left the room.

"I don't exactly like that nurse," Stan mumbled, more to himself. However that didn't stop Ford's reply, "The only reason you don't like that nurse is because she does her job."

"First she asks you to host a kid in our room, she doesn't tell us that kid is Dipper, and then when we find out that kid is Dipper, she yells at me." Stan pouted and crossed his arms, "Unbelievable!"

Ford shakes his head and sighs, "I should go to sleep. Night Stanley! Goodnight Dipper!"

"Wow! Poindexter's actually going to sleep," Stan smirked, and Dipper chuckled as well. "Night Ford!"

"Goodnight Great Uncle Ford."

After a few moments, snores could be heard throughout the room. Stan and Dipper smile at each other.

"He's probably exhausted," Stan mumbled. He then turned his attention back to Dipper, "You're probably pretty tired too, huh kid?"

Dipper shrugged, "Maybe a little..." he trailed off. "What's gonna happen? After I get out of the hospital I mean?"

"Well... Ford and I will talk to your parents and your sister. If nothing changes, then you probably shouldn't live with them anymore..." Stan explained.

"What? Not live with them anymore? What am I gonna do? Run away?" Dipper frowned, shocked.

"No kid. Poindexter and I will take you in," Stan explained.

"What about Mabel?"

Stan frowned. Before that moment, he hated when siblings had to get separated. But, now, after hearing the way she was treating Dipper.

"Well, hate to break it to you kid, but it's probably for the best you had some time apart."