Chapter Eight

Soos has seen many weird things living in Gravity Falls. From gnomes to interdimensional portals, he'd seen it all. When the doorbell to the Mystery Shack rang an hour before closing time he didn't think anything of it. Human or werewolf, he was going to con this creature out of their money. It's was the former Mr.Mystery would do.

What he didn't expect at all, was for the former Mr.Mystery to be at the door, "Mr.Pines?" He questioned. Stan gave a half smile.

"What are you doing back so early?" Soos asked.

"Can I explain in the morning, it's kinda been a long week-" Stan explained. Soos nodded silently and watched Dr.Pines walk into the Mystery Shack. He was carrying something.

"Nice to see you again, Dr.Pines and-" Soos noticed what, or who, was in the man's arms, "Dipper? What are you doing here?"

"We'll explain in the morning!" Stan exclaimed again, "Now, which one of the bedrooms is unoccupied. I'd feel better if these nerds slept in an actual bed instead of on the boat or in the hospital!"

"Well- Dr.Pines' room is empty. Wait- hospital? Do you mean Dr.Pines or Dipper?" However by the time Soos asked his question, the two Pines were walking towards the room with Dipper in their arms.

"I-I guess Dipper was in the hospital...because he's the one being carried?" Soos asked, mostly to himself. But that left a few unasked questions. Why was Dipper back in Gravity Falls? And where was Mabel?

*   *   *

"Here's your coffee Mr.Pines, just the way you like it!" Soos smiled, handing Stan a mug of coffee. Stan sipped on it absent mindedly.

"So... how's Dr.Pines and the kid?" Soos wondered.

"Better than they were a week ago. I mean, I'm sure Poindexter is! He was pretty beat up when we arrived at the hospital and he was feeling well enough to help on the boat yesterday. I tried to convince him to rest, y'know with a gunshot wound and all, but you know how he is," Stan rambled sluggishly as he sipped on his coffee. Soos starred at him in shock.

"Dr.Pines got shot?"

"Mhm, we went out to a bar but got into some trouble. Originally, we were gonna go back exploring but we found Dipper."

"What is he doing here? Shouldn't he be in California with his parents and Mab-"

"No!" Stan cut Soos off. Soos seemed kind of shocked to get such a weird reaction from Mr.Pines, but shrugged it off. Unbeknownst to Soos, Ford entereded the room. He waved tiredly at Soos and sat down next to his brother.

"Hi Dr.Pines! Mr.Pines was telling me about what happened, I hope you feel better soon!"

"Thanks Soos, but as I told my brother, I'm fine!" Ford exclaimed, causing Stan to roll his eyes.

"Anyway, Dipper is here because he was in the hospital while sixer was. We heard how his parents were treating him, and needed to get him out of that situation!" Stan explained. Ford nodded in agreement.

"You guys just left Mabel there?"

Stan and Ford looked at each other, before looking off to the side.

"Seriously, what happened to Mabel? She didn't like, die or anything, right?"

Ford started to speak, "No, Mabel is fine, but you have to understand that-"

"She was awful Soos! She was telling Dipper he was worthless and saying it would've been better if he died. He was alone before we met up. No thirteen year old should be in the hospital by themselves!" Stan exclaimed, clenching his fist. He was still in disbelief Mabel could treat her brother like that! Even Ford had never said he was useless - to his face.

Soos visibly paled, "Oh.. I'm so sorry! I know she's always been kind of selfish, but I thought that was just when she was upset over something. Like when she was desperate to get Dr.Pines' old room even when she didn't really want it. Or when she created Dippy Fresh when she thought Dipper was staying in Gravity Falls. Now when I say it outloud, that doesn't make it sound any better."

Stan nearly spit out his coffee, "So this was happening during summer!"

"Stanley, don't beat yourself up! Again, you didn't know!" Ford reminded. Stan turned his attention back to Soos.

"Soos, is there anything else you know about? Anything?" Stan questioned. He didn't want to know but he needed to.

"Well, there was the time Mabel ran off with her shady boyfriend instead of listening when Dipper said he was creepy, and Mabel did kind of tease him a lot. I think that hurt more than he wanted to admit. Then there was the time Mabel locked her brother in the bunker"

Ford interjected, "The bunker? As in my bunker?"

Soos nodded, "Don't worry! We defeated the shapeshifter... after Mabel almost killed Dipper by locking him in. There was also the time Mabel was too focused on her play to help Dipper hack into that laptop. Kid didn't sleep for days."

Stan swallowed his coffee roughly, "I can't believe this all happened." He shook his head at himself. Ford rubbed Stan's shoulder.

"Hey..." The three of them turned around to see Dipper entering the room.

"Kid, it's still kinda early. Shouldn't you go back to sleep?" Stan suggested. Dipper shook his head.

"I'm feeling better, really! Hi Soos! Sorry I didn't say hi last night. I think I fell asleep before we got here," Dipper explained, sitting down with the others.

"It's cool, dood! The Mr.Pineses said something about you being in the hospital. Hope you're feeling better!" Soos smiled.

"Thanks!" He smiled.

"Okay, I know you're feeling better, but promise me you'll take it easy today!" Stan looked at Dipper, who nodded. "In fact, why don't you go play your nerd game with Ford," Stan suggested, winking at his brother.

Ford was confused for a moment before continuing, "Oh... oh yeah! Go grab the rulebook and character sheets and wait in the living room for me." Dipper smiled as he left the room.

"So... we can't live here anymore... it's Soos' house know..." Stan started.

"Of course you can! We can just... live in the same house! Melody and I have your old room, and my abuela has the attic, and then Ford and you will have his room!" Soos claimed.

"What about Dipper?"

"Wait... wait...Dipper too?" Soos backed up and shook his head. He seemed confused.

"Stanley, I think you forgot to tell him-" Ford mentioned.

"Tell me what?"

"We're adopting Dipper."