Chapter Seven - Pretending

For the next three days, we do nothing but practice. Chloe takes an extra acro class. Nia and Kendall join the teen ballet class. Maddie, Lilly and Ellie all do a hip hop master class on Wednesday. Mackenzie and Brooke do two hour tap classes. Paige has a technique private with Gianna on Tuesday. I take an acting class to work on my facials. By Friday morning, on the way to New York, we are ready.

When we get off the plane, and onto the bus, Abby tells us to quiet down because she has exciting news.

"Since we are going to New York this weekend, I figured I would book you all a few jobs. When we arrive later today, we have an audition for a music video. You all know the song Royals correct?"

We all cheer. A real music video?! And for like the best song ever?! This is too good to be true!

"There is one more thing. On Sunday you have another audition, this time for a tv show. Only Maddie so far has been on a tv show other than Dance Moms, when she was on "Drop Dead Diva" last year. But this time you're auditioning for, drumroll please ..."

We all tap tap tap on the back of our seats until the bus driver has to pull over because we are being annoying. We stop, and he keeps driving. "You guys are auditioning for the finale episode of Victorious!"

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!" We all squeal. Victorious is my favorite show. I would love to be on it.

"For the music video Lorde is looking for 5 girls in between the ages of seven and thirteen, which means Maddie, Lilly, and Brooke you have just made the cut. For Victorious they need one lead singer/dancer and two backups. You all made the age range, because it's 14 and under."

The bus is abuzz with excitement, everyone talking about who they think will get a role.

The moms are all talking about how Maddie will be in both for sure. And I'm pretty sure they don't mean me.

********************
Time skip to music video audition

I walk in with my resume, my other hand in my mother's, so I don't get lost in the crowd.

Abby has us bring our resumes everywhere, even if we're at the mall, which is why I keep it on my phone too.

We file in, and are taught a slow jazz combo. Mackenzie and Lilly aren't doing too well. I think I'm doing alright. Paige and Chloe will definitely be in the video.

We are separated into small groups of three or four to perform in front of the judges. I go in with Lilly and Vivi-Anne from Candy Apples.

I don't know what the heck Vivi is doing but it certainly isn't what we learned.

Like I said before, Lilly isn't  doing too well. She is either too early or too late, usually too early, because she's moving too quickly.

The two of them are dismissed, and I go back out to wait.

"I saw Lilly got dismissed." My mom says. "How did you do? Or, how do you think you did?"

"I think I did pretty good. Maybe not good enough to be in the video, but good."

"Well I thought you looked fantastic. I was watching you through the window."

"Thanks mom, but you're my mom, you're supposed to say that."

Mom rolls her eyes, and I play some Temple Run to distract myself.