Epilogue

Nearly two years later

Richards's POV

Smack!

I jerk my now stinging hand back and frown at Christine.

"What? It's Christmas. Why make bacon wrapped anything if I can't have it?"

She scoots around me and places the appetizers on the tray.

"You can have it. Just not right now. Patience, young man."

I grin at her calling me young because we both know I'm not. I move behind her and wrap my arms around her waist. And for a moment, she stops stressing about the meal and relaxes against my chest. Not long after coming to live with my daughter, I became smitten with Christine. She was the first woman I cared to look at in years. My heart always belonged to Clara and I refused to even look at other women long after she passed. Not only in respect for Lauren, but in respect for her.

But one Sunday afternoon, a few months after we got Camila back from Georgia, I found myself in the kitchen with Christine and I couldn't take my eyes off her. Her dark hair, showing streaks of grey that indicated her age, was down and her pretty blue eyes were shining with happiness. We'd just learned the sex of the baby after lunch and she was as proud as Lauren's mother would have been if her life had ever gotten to that point. The love that shone from Christine, like a million rays of sunshine, is what ultimately made me fall in love with her. I don't love often but when I do, I give it my everything.

It took some convincing for her to date me but one evening I surprised her by cooking dinner. Lauren and Camz had gone shopping for the baby. Cart and Dubois were at their own homes. And that night, Christine and I talked over a romantic candlelit dinner as if we were young again. Later, I took her to bed and showed her an old man still had a few tricks. She soon caved into my affections and we married before the baby was born.

"I love you, Chris."

She chuckles and pats my arm.

"I love you too, honey. Now get your tushie in there and set the table. Camila's family will be here soon and I don't want them thinking we're a bunch of rednecks."

I laugh and reluctantly pull away from her, not before I steal a kiss that makes her blush first. Then, I stroll toward the dining room that Lauren already installed the leaf in to extend it for the extra guests. I almost step on my favorite little person in the whole world.

"Papa!"

"Little Bear!"

He squeals when I pick him up and toss him in the air a few times. Ashton started walking a couple of months ago and loves exploring this massive house of his father's. Camila has the patience of a saint and follows him everywhere making sure he doesn't get into anything that might hurt him. So I'm surprised not to see her around. When I peek around the corner, I see my daughter with her wife pressed against the wall sharing a passionate kiss. I beam with pride that I was able to pluck her from her old, terrible life and help mold this one for her. Her mother would have been so proud to see the gentlewoman she's grown to be.

I know I am

----------

"Who's your favorite uncle? Say Jude," Camila's brother coos to his nephew.

Ashton whops him upside the head with his stuffed bear Christine and I'd bought him for Christmas.

"Doob-wa," Ashton babbles in response.