Chapter 13: Safety Net

‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊

Kila surfaced behind Hectors ship and noticed the back doors of his cabin were left open, the warm flickering lights coming from within signalled he was there. Usually she'd be able to make the jump but not this time, she was still too weak. 

"Hector" She called out lowly at first, waiting a few moments.  When she received no answer she called his name again a little louder. She watched as he appeared on the over hang, a big smile planted on his face, which was quickly replaced by concern.

"I can't make it Hector..." She cried weakly, rotating so he could see her back.  Hector stared at her in shock for a moment, then punched the wood railing that lined the veranda.

"I will lower tha boat fer ye, come around starboard" He said pointing to the right side of the ship.  Kila nodded and swam to the right side of the ship, waiting patiently as she watched Hector lower the boat into the ocean.  She pulled herself into the small wooden craft, watching as her tail shed away.  The cool air whooshed over her sending a shiver down her spine, causing goosebumps to cover her body.

Hector pulled the boat back up, thank god for pulley systems, and quickly ripped his shirt off for Kila. He wrapped the cotton around her and picked her up bridal style, bringing her into the warmth of his cabin. He lowered her onto his bed and furrowed his brow in concern as he pulled his arm away, seeing it covered in blood. He was concerned and angry beyond measure, she was badly injured and he felt as though he could kill however did it.

"Kila.." he whispered, upset and angry that she had been hurt.  She looked up at him weakly and reached her arm out for him.  He laid down beside her, pulling the thick linen covers over her shivering body. "Who did this to you?" He growled.

"My people-they know." She stated breathlessly, Kila really had no energy left in her. She wanted to tell Hector the true reason she had been so brutally punished, but she knew he was too infuriated and probably wouldn't take her being pregnant very well. Hector kissed her forehead and laid his arm over her torso.

"Im so sorry" he said woefully, cuddling into her. Kila closed her eyes and laid her head on his shoulder, basking in his warmth.

"It wasn't you" she said trying to make him less angry. Hector continued to gently kiss her face and kept his arm around her torso; he wanted her to feel safe.

Kila curled up under his arm and closed her eyes, letting out a deep breath. Perhaps she should tell Hector, maybe it would make him happy to know that she was carrying his child.  She'd leave it until the morning, for all she could focus on was how badly she needed to sleep.  She was sore everywhere and she felt exhausted, she knew she had lost a lot of blood; especially on her swim to Tortuga.

"I'll need food Hector" She whispered tiredly.  Hector patted her stomach lightly and smiled to himself. 

"I've got several pounds of fish waiting fer ye" he said.  Kila kissed his bare chest and laid her head down on the feather pillow.

—//—

As a couple days passed Kila began to gain her strength back, unfortunately the slashes would forever scar her back; but it was a reminder of how merciless her people could be. She had yet to tell Hector about the child, she was scared that he wouldn't want her anymore; and after what she just went through with her people, she couldn't be without Hector.

"We be about a week off th' coast" Hector stated happily as he re-entered his cabin. Him and Kila decided it was best that she remained unseen by his crew mates, because the couple that captured her would surely recognize her face. Gibbs had accidentally stumbled in, as he usually did, and caught them during a fairly inopportune heated moment; however, he swore to tell no one and offered to start teaching Kila to read, write, and speak.

"Hector, sit" Kila called softly to Hector who was stood at his desk, looking over his charts. He smirked at her and walked slowly towards the bed where she was laying; he sat on the edge beside her and placed his hand on her thigh.

"Are ye okay" He asked tenderly. Without answering Kila sighed and sat up, looking at him seriously. She had put it off long enough and decided it was time to tell him about the baby, keeping in mind that the giver told her that he loved her very much.

"I need to tell you" she said grabbing onto his hands. Hector furrowed his brow growing concerned with her seriousness.

"Kila, what, yer scarin' me, are ye hurtin" Hector started rambling and Kila just shook her head, placing her hand on his mouth to stop him talking.

"Me and you, we have baby" Kila whispered watching as Hectors eyes widened. She lowered her hand from his mouth and awaited his response to break the silence.

Hector was sure his heart had stopped as he heard Kila say the word "baby." He didn't even know it was possible to impregnate a mermaid with his seed, apparently it was. He didn't know what to say or do, he was shocked, scared, and unprepared.

"Hector, speak please" Kila begged as she looked at him helplessly. Hector got up from the bed and cleared across the floor, leaving Kila without saying a word.  She watched as he stepped out onto the veranda and lowered his head into his hands; she could tell it wasn't going to be good.

Kila got up from the bed and slowly walked towards Hector, placing her hand on the centre of his back. 
"Hector, I am scared" she whispered, a tear starting to form in the corner of her eye.

"Kila..." He groaned lowly, still in shock. Protecting Kila would be hard enough but, if it got out that he had a child it would make him vulnerable; it's one of the main reasons pirates never settled down, having loved ones is a weakness.

"Please Hector-we need you" Kila whispered. He knew it wasn't right to blame her or hate her for their mistake, he needed to be there for her now more than ever.

Hector inhaled deeply and turned his head to look over his shoulder. Kila watched intently as Hectors concerned frown slowly started to turn into a grin; the thought of having a child beginning to fill his mind. Hector slowly turned around to face her and grinned.

"Kila, I be scared too but, I hope ye know I will do everythin' fer tha both of ye" Hector chimed.

Kila wrapped herself into his embrace and looked at him with glossy eyes; mermaid tears were sacred and powerful, a thing not to be wasted.  She was full of joy and couldn't help but tear up a little, she loved Hector so much and the fact that he loved her just as much in return was the best feeling in the whole world.

"Tha gardens n' cows ul be perfect fer the little one!" Hector beamed placing his hand on Kila's stomach. She smiled at him and placed her hand atop his, looking lovingly into his eyes.

"Hector is love" She whispered making him smile.