Curses And Dreams

"Alright class, today, we have a new student, please welcome Y/N Fujioka." The teacher then clapped as I walked in the room filled with the eyes of children, and their curiosity.

"Y/N, here, is deaf, which means she can't hear, so let's all be nice to her alright?"

"Yes Mrs. Yurika." All the students said in unison.

It was the weekend, no one home, I think Haruhi went shopping again or something. But I had just woken up on my bed before staring at the ceiling. It was such a curse.

Even though I was deaf, I felt like people didn't hear me when I tried to talk. At this point in time, it was 3 months into my new school and I hadn't made any friends but one. But she never said anything to me.

Sometimes kids would repeatedly yell my name across the classroom and then remember about my situation, but instead of tapping, they'd hit my shoulder with a book.

The only time I could find peace was reading time, I was very smart for my age, I payed attention to my surroundings after many kids had tried to trip me and make fun of me. I had learned to read lips and just gain knowledge from books that were above my grade level. I was the best at tuning into peoples emotions and their body language. It was like I had a superpower.

"I'm home!"

I snap out of my thoughts when I heard Haruhi. I jump off my bed and greet her at the door where she had already put her groceries up.

"Hey Y/N."

"Haruhi!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in the air and twirling.

She giggles at my childishness and we sit down to eat.

Hey Y/N, how does it feel being deaf?

I hum and shrug my shoulders, continuing to eat my lunch as she stares at me, not taking another bite.

You don't know how to talk Y/N?

I shake my head no and notice her big almond eyes tearing up.

Oh right, my only friend was Haruhi.

And I couldn't hear her because I was deaf.

How sad.

"Y/N, you okay? You're zoning out, and that's never a good thing." Haruhi looks worried and stops her eating.

"Bear."

"Ohhh, I forgot, you two like each other~" she teased as she winked, and I cringed a little.

"Books...!" I whine as I pick up my chopsticks, pouting.

They hit you with books?! My sister was very angry when she saw me on the floor of the library with books scattered around me. She was signing fast and sloppy.

Soon after it happened again. Books hit my head and kicks were sent to my back as insults I couldn't hear were thrown at me.

"What the hell do you think your doing?!"

"You said a bad word!"

"Well I got a lot more to say if you keep hurting my sister!"

"Wahhh! Mrs. Yurika!"

The kids screamed and ran in different directions. Haruhi helped me up, and it astounded me. She knew she was going to get in trouble if  she actually hit them and she already said a nasty word. Why would she get in trouble for me?

I didn't have time to ask in sign before she hugged me tightly, making me widen my eyes.

"It's okay Y/N, I'll always be here for you."

Even though I didn't understand her. I felt that I did in a way.

That's why I had called Haruhi "Books" and because she was very smart of course. And I had even came up with a name for Hikaru and Karou recently. The school for the rich was really something, accepting me even though I'm a lower status and deaf. It's also sad that you're own kind won't accept you when you're a little different.

The one time I had wore hearing aids to school was the worst. That's when kids screamed in my ears, so I just decided to leave them at home. But I remember one, who reminds me of someone else.

At the park again. Haruhi was sad about mom and I was too, but Haruhi was so close to mom, while I was close with dad. Though Haruhi had always been the favourite out of me and her, but that's because of my hearing problem.

I knew mom didn't mind. But every now and hen I'd think I was a burden when she would talk to me and remember about my condition.

Over time I realized that being deaf wasn't exactly a curse. It was an obstacle that I needed to overcome. And with the right help and support, I might be able to turn this into a gift.