Unveil

"I'm sorry, Mr. Ri, but you cannot enter."

Jeong Hyeok was momentarily confused. Looking at the mansion to make sure that he was at the correct address, he turned back to the security guard who wouldn't let him in. They had been familiar in the past months that he and Seri had been living here, so he was sure that he was known. "I cannot enter? I live here though. There must be some mix up."

"I really am sorry, but we were given instructions by Mr. Yoon."

He must have misheard it but he wondered why Seri would give such instructions. Fortunately, he was able to call her and she promised to speak to security. A few more minutes passed and he was finally let in, albeit hesitantly.

Seri met him at the driveway looking distraught. "Hi. I'm sorry."

"What happened? What did I do?"

She shook her head. "Nothing. Nothing. Come in. I need to tell you something."

He was worried but did not want to add to her anxiety so he let her take the time she needed. "Do you want to eat first?"

She shook her head again, pacing at the living room. "No. You?"

"I can wait. I wish to eat when you do."

She stopped walking and smiled at him. Sitting beside him, she took a deep breath and started. "My eldest brother came by this morning, just after you left."

"I see. What did he want?" He asked. It had been so long since he saw Seri's brother that he could only conjure up a vague image in his mind when they were still children.

Seri rubbed her temples then told him the same thing she had been told. "People found out the set up we have with Man Bok and put malice in our living arrangements. Apparently, there are whispers that we are engaging in, how did you put it, carnal pleasures while living in this house and my family sees it as a disgrace."

He would have laughed at her use of the term she teased him for if he did not notice that this was stressing her out. "I see. You've been thinking about this for awhile. Can I assume that you have come up with a solution? Or do you wish to discuss one?"

For the first time since he's known her these past months, she truly looked vulnerable. "I couldn't think of any. It's not as if it's something public that I can issue a statement denying it. Since people whisper about it, I don't know if there is still something we could do? And Uncle said he'd call us later to speak to us together."

He chose his next words carefully. "Seri, I hate to bring this up since I know you didn't like hearing it before, but you need to be prepared that I may need to leave here sooner than we think."

The sadness in her eyes broke his heart. "I know. I've been thinking of that. Hearing that you were prevented from entering the gates here made me realize that possibility."

She didn't give the order to stop me at the entrance, he thought. It was one bright spot in their current dilemma. He sat closer to her and asked for her hand. When she placed hers in his, they leaned back and rested their foreheads together.

"There's another thing I have to tell you. I hadn't told Uncle because I wanted to tell you first."

He waited anxiously for what she would say next.

She looked at him straight in his eyes and said, "My family seems to have arranged a marriage for me. I am to meet him this weekend."

Jeong Hyeok sat up quickly. "What?"