Chapter 12

~July 1, 1997. Day of the ball.

I slip my dress on. It has silver fabric and vine like design crawling up the chest. The sleeves fall off the shoulders ever so slightly. The skirt is floor length, it's gorgeous. I've never worn anything like this before. I curl my dirty blonde hair and let it flow freely. I slide my shoes on, they are simple black heals. I stand up and walk outside my dorm.

"You look...beautiful. Do you like it?" Draco asks.

"Yes, thank you for letting me borrow this dress. Where did you even get it?"

"It was my mother's. You should really thank her."

"Well, I love it." I walk over next to him and grab his hand.

He takes mine back and we head to the ball.

  When we walk inside the Great Hall, it is all decorated for winter. The floating All the sixth and seventh years are dressed up. It's like a dream, so peaceful, it feels like home.

  Draco takes me by the hand.

"May I have this dance?" He asks sounding slightly terrified.

"Of course." I smile and nod.

The music plays a slow song and he takes me by the waist. I take him by the shoulders and we dance. I feel nervous, I've never been to a dance before. I could tell he was leading, I just sort of followed him. I stumbled all over the floor.

  "I'm sorry." I whisper in his ear.

  "Just lean on my shoulder. You'll be fine." He says softly in my ear.

  I do as he says and we just stood there, swaying. I felt a bit more relaxed. He gives me comfort. As I lean on his shoulder, I watch everyone else. They all look so happy. It's not fair.

  Something catches my eye, I jerk up and out of his arms. Harry, Ron and Hermione are sneaking out of the dance. My hands slide down to Draco's, I clutch his hands.

  "What's wrong?" He asks.

  "Harry, he's sneaking out. They went through one of those side doors, that lead outside." I point to the door. As he turns his head.

  "They're probably just going to see Hagrid. They do that a lot."

  "Hagrid is right over there." I turn him to face where Hagrid is standing.

  "Oh, let's go." He says hurriedly.

  He takes my hand and pulls me through the crowd. We dodge a few of the staff eyes and make it out the door. I look around for any sight of where they could have gone, then see footprints in the dirt. I pull Draco and follow the prints. We pass the main door to the castle, looking down watching the prints. When suddenly find ourselves staring straight into their wands, which were pointing right at us.

"What are you two doing here?" Hermione asks aggressively.

"F-following you..." I hesitate to say.

"This isn't your place, I suggest leave and don't say anything before this has to get ugly." Hermione says.

"Draco let's fight." I whisper as my hand slides down his arm and grabs his hand.

"My wand I left it up in my dorm."He whispers back.

"Follow my lead. Stand still and let me siphon." I move to stand slightly in front of him to hide my hand.

"Stop whispering make your choice!" Ron says.

"We'll go back, we won't say a word. Lower your wands." I quickly get out.