Make that Leap of Faith for Me (7)

Eda was already headed towards Mardin. Melo, Ceren and Fifi had tried to dissuade her but to no avail, and so they had decided to accompany her when Eda narrated as how a lot of the mishaps with Serkan had been triggered off by her grandmother. All the girls knew about Babanne as a shadowy figure from Eda and Ayfer's past who had been a sore point in Eda's parents marriage as it had to face undue pressure from her. Finally Eda's father, a gentle, scholarly son had to make a choice in favor of his young wife and family and cut off all relations with his mother. Unfortunately he had died soon after that and Ayfer had taken away Eda and come to Istanbul so her grandmother did not spread the same hatred in Eda's life. She had of course traced Ayfer and had tried to bring Eda back to Mardin but had to bow down to Ayfer's strong will and Eda's obstinacy when she became an adult.

 But over the years her attempts to bring Eda back had grown stronger but covert. Eda decided it was high time she met her grandmother and told her of the impossibility of her return so the old woman might desist her efforts. She planned a major showdown over her efforts to debase Serkan and several questions that had to be answered by Babanne. Telling Ayfer was out of the question because she would only try to dissuade her, therefore Eda had to do it alone with the help of the girl gang for moral support. They were now headed towards Mardin in Ceren's car. The atmosphere in the car was tense as Eda narrated all she had learnt from Efe, but none of the girls could guess why Grandma wanted to destroy the Bolats. It was almost night and they decided to not push their luck in the night but find a nice hotel to stay the night. They found one and booked in.

------------------------------------------------------------------

In Istanbul, Serkan had just then reached Eda's home, which appeared dark. There was nobody at home. It looked deserted. He called up Eda but could not reach her. He wondered if she had blocked him. He debated whether to go to Ayfer Hanim, but remembering his rather ignominious treatment last time, was sure he would get no help from that quarter. He walked around waiting for Eda to return from wherever she was but that wasn't of any use either. Disappointed he headed home. He had a sudden brainwave and decided to discreetly message Melo, the only one of Eda's gang whose support he could always count on whatever the ups and downs of his situation with Eda be. He messaged "Hi can we talk."

The message was seen immediately but he had to wait for ten minutes before she called back. He tried to understand from Melo's voice how much of trouble with Eda he was in. But Melo didn't sound so mad at him. He asked her if Eda was with her , and he could swear he could hear the gears of Melo's brains working before she said Yes. He heaved a sigh of relief, this meant he could probably push his luck with the next question, "Where are you?" To which she asked very curtly,  "Why do you want to know? Because you want to thank Eda for her help?" Melo asked sarcastically. 

Serkan had to milk his entire goodwill with Melo to convince her he wasn't a cad as she thought, just confused and desperate about Eda. Melo, the soft hearted girl could never resist her Eniste for long and she asked him, "I am going to ask you a question and you have to answer it truthfully?"

He promised.

She asked, "I don't want to help you so many times if all you do is lose Eda every time. This is the last time I will help you. Now my question is, will you hold on to her this time forever, neither will you leave her and if she tries to leave, will you make her stay? If you are going to find some reason to leave her or let her go, I wont help you." She waited for his reply.. Serkan thought deeply, even if he managed to stop Eda this time, there was always the issue of Eda's parents' death.. Who knows what turn this might take.

On the other end Melo listened to his silence and spoke up, " The main question Eniste is of intent. If you start something half heartedly, it will break down for sure. I think you aren't sure of yourself yet. If you aren't how do you expect to hold the relationship together. Call me when you are sure." And she disconnected....