Chapter 4

Hong Kong, China

Boats cut lazily through the central canals, the gently lapping water glimmering with the flaring lights of signs, each advertising the restaurant or store within. Couples and tourists strode hand-in-hand along the wide, cobbled walkway, the sounds of laughter echoing off the archways. The smell of cooking and the fumes of cars hazed the air, completing the busy atmosphere.

A small, tightly knit crowd stood circled around a central performer - a man, dressed in red and black leather, his eyes gleaming in the fluorescent lights of the city. Magic shows were common in this part of Hong Kong, and many tourists flocked to see the nearest one. Coins clinked as they were placed hurriedly into the glass jar in front of him.

He spoke softly in Cantonese, his hands moving effortlessly as they performed.

"My grandfather often said that every man is a mystery. Some men harbour beautiful secrets." He flared his sleeves dramatically, showing nothing inside.

"Other hide darker ones." His hands were brought elegantly together as he blew into them, as if warming them up. When they unfurled, a perfect cream-coloured egg was sitting inside. There was a collective gasp from the crowd. More coins were placed inside the jar.

"He believed the only way to know a man's true nature is to pierce his outer shell." His placed his hand once again on the egg, covering it from view.

"And gaze within." His arm jerked upwards, as if to throw the egg into the crowd. The lady in direct line moved hastily to the side, only to discover silver streamers left his hand, instead of an egg. The crowd laughed mockingly, one or two clapping at the trick. A young man smiled at his girlfriend.

"Lame trick." he says, smirking.

"They were in the egg." she agreed.

The magician turned away and glanced warily at the jar – not as full as he would have liked. Hardly as much as yesterday. He sniffed, and threw down the streamers, only for something to catch his eye. A young woman in a flowered dress smiled sweetly from the crowd. Her red-painted lips turning upwards kindly. She nodded, as if in encouragement.

He smiled back, resolve now in his veins. Hesitantly, he turned his back to the crowd, and opened his palm slowly. A small ball of flame sat in the centre of his hand, flickering and cracking in the darkness. He glanced once again at the girl in the flower dress, who stared in awe.

He breathed deeply. "This is not a trick."

He turned around swiftly and threw the ball of flame at the young couple. They held their arms protectively in front of their faces, but the flame died out before it can reach them. The crowd cheered, louder this time, and more money went into the jar. The young man snarled angrily at the magician, before grabbing his girlfriend's arm and leading her away. The magician smiled to himself, aware that the woman in the flower dress was making her way over.

"How did you do that?" she asks, curiosity clear in her voice. She spoke in English.

"A magician never reveals his secrets."

"Then I'll have to pierce your shell and gaze within?" She smiled warmly.

"You understood?" He was impressed. Most tourists – especially those from America, as she evidently was from, never bothered to learn another language. She grinned and gave a little nod of her head.

He held out his hand to introduce himself.

"Chan Ho Yin."

She took his hand, her fingers delicate, and shook.

"Raina. I would love to see that fire trick again."

He laughed silently. "I don't think that's such a good idea."

"Of course not." She moved closer. "It's a great idea."

*****

"Sorry for the clutter. I'm in between places." He set his keys down on the apartment table and took his leather jacket off.

"How long have you been here?"

"Six years." He sighed and took out two glass bottles from a fridge. "Beer?"

She nodded in appreciation and looked over his shoulder at his wall. Posters were plastered across the surface, showing adverts to various magic shows and events. She noticed a lot featured Houdini – the master escape artist and illusionist. She took the beer he offered her.

"You seem to have an appreciation for the greats."

He turned to her line of vision and saw the posters.

"I idolized him for many years." She noticed his face harden slightly.

"And now?"

"There's no real magic there. Just tricks."

They smiled in silence; his face reflective. She broke it first.

"Show me."

"I'm sorry," he said, walking past her towards the kitchen. "I really shouldn't."

"What are you afraid of?"

"It's not me who's afraid." He held out his palm warily, and the fire bellowed silently into existence. Raina gasped as she gazed at the flame. It flickered and bent in the air, sitting in the centre of his palm.

"This can't be real."

"See for yourself." She glanced at Chan's face, and saw the light dancing in his eyes. She lifted her hand and brought it close to the flame, only to draw it back again when it got too hot – real.

"How long have you been able to-"

"First time was a few years ago. A dish towel caught fire in my hands. I almost burnt down my entire apartment." he chuckled. "I was distracted by something, I think. Thought an animal had gotten inside."

"And it doesn't hurt?"

"Not even a little."

He closed his fist quickly and the flame extinguished. He brought the bottle up to his lips and took a swig.

She shook her head, clearly lost for words. "You have a gift. I've never seen anything like it." she breathed. "Why not show the world?"

"I ask the same question every day. There's this thing who..." He trailed off; his mind caught with something else. She looked at him with interest.

"Never mind." He shook his head, as if shaking something out. "It's just – for years I did illusions, tricks, like the rest. And then this happened. It's real – real magic. If I believed in such things, I would say it was a miracle, that this happened for a reason."

"I believe you've been chosen." Chan looked up, hope evident in his eyes. His gaze moved from side to side, trying to gauge what she meant.

"You do?"

She stepped closer, now only inches away from him. She could smell he faint scent of burning, like wood-smoke.

"Close your eyes,"

He did so eagerly.

"And I'll show you."

A few seconds go by, the only sound their breathing.

"That'll do." she says.

Confusion crosses Chan's face as he opened his eyes. Raina was flanked either side by figures in silver hazmat suits, their faces covered by black visors. How did they get in? He didn't hear them enter.

He stumbled backwards as they reach out to take his arms, looming over him like teachers to students. One of them managed to gain a hold of his left arm and Chan was surprised at how strong they were. He panicked, fear seeping into his system, and flails with his free arm to gain purchase on anything that could help him. His hand clasped around a pair of scissors and he stabbed it into the hazmat-suit's thigh, but not before the other one punched him squarely in his gut.

He cried out and fell to his knees, only looking up just in time as something large came hurtling towards his face.