Chapter 8

"Every decision you make from here on out will have consequences. So be warned..."

Henrik stared, the serious look on his face giving away nothing but pure determination.

"G,7"

He sighed, his eyes closing in disappointment.

"Hit."

Kestrel pumped her arms in celebration. She had a winning streak, and she wasn't going to let Henrik beat her now.

"Yes! Ha!"

They both pegged their pins on to their battleships, Kestrel doing so with flare, just to annoy Henrik. The dining pavilion had long since emptied out, the only people left the cleaners and a few sprites picking up dropped pieces of food. They sat opposite one another on one of the long benches, the sound of the river gurgling behind them and the smell of the fire pit, still smoking from last night's Solar Eclipse celebration. The moon was a huge part of life at Camp Moondoor, and the eclipse celebration had been no different. Colourful streamers still hung from the trees and many of the campers were sleeping in after having gorged themselves sick on mooncakes and quarter jacks.

"So, explain to me again what this has to do with my training." She stroked Moon's head absent-mindedly, while he lay stretched across her lap.

"It's important for every Wing mentor to evaluate their student's thought process."

Kestrel scoffed. Despite Henrik being Kestrel's personal 'mentor' in order for her to join the Wing, his methods weren't exactly what one would expect. The day before, he had tried teaching her how to tame and calm wild Greentip dragons in the Shadow Forest. It had been going great for the most part, one even allowing her to sit upon it's back. Until, of course, a young camper had wandered down the wrong path, and startled the Greentips into a frenzy. Today, they were playing Battleships instead.

"And I like board games." he said. "B,10"

"Nope. This isn't thinking, this is stabbing in the dark. But it's nice to take a break from the workouts."

"Well, you deserve a break."

Kestrel looked up in surprise, but quickly bowed her head again to study her board.

"I'd rather be flying dragons for the Wing though."

"Wouldn't we all." he muttered sarcastically, not looking up from the game. She could tell he would rather be on Furious' back, circling Moondoor Island high up in the atmosphere, with no one telling what should or shouldn't be done. She longed to do just the same.

"I've got the give credit. I would never have pegged someone with your level of stubbornness as a good fit – but you're picking things up pretty fast."

This time, Kestrel looked up properly and smirked at Henrik.

"Did you just pay me a compliment?"

"I... no, I made a comment."

"A kind one."

He shrugged in exasperation, shaking his head slightly.

"Did it physically hurt to do that?" Kestrel asked, laughing at his embarrassment. She leant forwards suddenly, her face serious. "Do you need an ice pack?"

He laughed, his face still tinted red.

"Wow! A compliment and a smile!"

"Comment." he warned.

"Well, I don't want to ruin the moment, but I'm going to have to respond with... G,4."

Henrik glanced at his board again, and what little smile he had disappeared. Kestrel smirked slightly, awaiting his answer. He pouted and sighed.