chapter two

ANGELIC – CHAPTER TWO

The rain poured down heavily on the Cadets, the trees above didn't seem to provide much, if any shelter for them. It had been two years since the 104th Cadet Corps had begun training yet the exercises never became any easier.

Over the course of the two years Isabel had made some friends who she could rely on which was a completely new thing for her as everyone she had ever known were people her father affiliated with.

Her closest friend had become Annie Leonhart which was rather surprising as she was one of the quieter girls. The friendship was slow but quickly bloomed, so much so that the girls had become rather tightly knit. Annie would braid Isabel's hair as she had never quite got the hang of doing it herself and in return Isabel would be good company.

She had also become close with Sasha Braus and Connie Springer as the pair never failed to make her laugh, she occasionally sat with the pair on their table with Marco and Jean when Annie wanted to be left alone. Isabel enjoyed their company, however, something about Jean didn't sit right with her, maybe it was the fact he was always trying to one-up the other Cadets, or maybe it was how he was always looking down on her for wanting to 'throw her life away'. Either way, she did not like Jean, not one bit.

"Isabel," Annie spoke again, her voice slightly louder as she stared at her friend. "Come on, we're falling behind." Isabel shook her head and turned around quickly to see that Jean and Marco weren't far behind the pair.

"Surprised you're not further ahead!" Isabel yelled loudly as she met Jean's eyes. "I thought horses were supposed to be fast."

His face grew bright red in anger, his pace quickening. "For your information, twinkle toes, I'd be further ahead if you weren't being so slow!"

"Come on, Annie." She said smugly, her lips formed into a smirk. "Let's see if we can outrun the horse." Isabel hiked the bag higher up on her bag and gave the blonde beside her a quick nod before they began to speed up, though the rain and the weight on their backs didn't allow them to reach their full potential.

After about five minutes of running in the hard rain and dodging the logs that lay on the path, they began to slow down, Marco and Jean being further behind. Annie sighed and faced Isabel. "We can slow down now, they're way behind."

"Yeah, your right." Isabel said as she began to pant heavily.

Annie looked up at the slightly taller girl, and shook her head, she tried to yank her rucksack off her back but instead of taking her backpack the pair slipped in the mud and fell to the ground, Isabel on top of Annie.

"Hi." Isabel grinned, her hands either side of Annie's face to stop her from crushing the blonde beneath her. Annie's eyes widened, steel meeting jade, her cheeks turned bright pink. "And that'll teach you to try to take my backpack won't it?"

"Would you look at that," A voice said loudly from behind the pair. "That's my dream pairing right there."

Isabel managed to push herself up, she wiped the mud off on her raincoat and leant her hand down for Annie, the blonde hesitantly took it and glared at the taller blond boy. "Shove off, Reiner."

Her heart pounded heavily against her chest as she swung through the trees, eyes wide in excitement as she looked up at the branches that flew by her like blurs. Isabel never could have gotten over the feeling of being able to fly, it was truly amazing. Her vision singled in on a large wooden titan, the nape being a texture to mimic that of titan skin.

"He's mine!" She heard a yell from her left, lips curled upwards in a smirk she shot ahead towards the fake titan at full speed.

Isabel pulled her swords behind her and began to spin before striking down on the spot, completely obliterating the neck. "That was mine, Smith!" The boy yelled over to her, shooting towards the girl.