chapter seven

ANGELIC – CHAPTER SEVEN

Fingers threaded through her bloodied hair easily, rebraiding the messy clump of silver hair stained red. She looked like hell, and in all fairness, she'd been. The blood had stained her face, covering her forehead and her cheeks messily, the majority being taken away by sweat and water that she had poured over herself but some still remained.

She still hadn't quite processed what had happened as she stared blankly at the floor she sat on, sitting between Annie's legs as the blonde braided her hair once more into a different style, something called a fish braid, though she had never quite heard of that style before.

Images of blood scattered her vision, screams of agony and pleas for help rang in her ears. She felt odd. She thought back to how she felt as she soared through the air and tore them apart, the feeling was exhilarating and she wanted to feel it again, she wanted to feel it a million times over. It made her feel like she was doing something good, like she was actually making a difference. Though, the sight of Eren's body slowly coming out of a titan's nape felt like a fever dream. She simply didn't believe it.

Annie tapped Isabel's shoulder gently before slowly beginning to turn her around. The silver-haired soldier slowly swivelled around to face the blonde, Annie's pale fingers slowly stretched out and pulled a few strands of hair from the braid so it framed her face nicely. She licked her thumb and wiped away some of the blood that still remained on her forehead before wiping the hardened liquid on her trousers.

"Good as new." Annie said quietly as she stroked Isabel's face lightly, staring softly at the injured recruit. The blonde yanked her hand away once she realised what she was doing before placing her hands in her lap, eyes averted in embarrassment. "Can I ask you something selfish?"

Isabel nodded her head and scratched her nose. Annie sighed softly. "I want you to join the MPs with me, I know you've already said no, but the thought of not being able to make sure you're okay out there makes my stomach churn."

"I can protect myself, you don't need to worry about -"

Annie snapped her head towards Isabel, her eyes narrowed. "No, you can't. You don't know what it's like out there, you-"

"And you know what it's like out there?" Isabel scoffed. "I appreciate your concern Annie, but I placed higher than you, if I can't protect myself then neither can you." She stood to her feet and brushed herself off. "Please have some faith in me, you're supposed to be my best friend."

Annie dropped her head at her words. She knew fine well that Isabel could protect herself from the way she had continued to fight even though she was heavily injured, she would do just fine as a Scout. Her real issue was having to go against her on the battlefield, when it came down to it she would possibly have to strike Isabel down and that was the one thing she didn't want.

She had gotten to close, too comfortable amongst the devils. She was sent to infiltrate and destroy not to make friends but that's exactly what she did. Over her years on the island she had begun to sympathise with the enemy, feel guilty for what she had to do. She had purposefully distanced herself to not feel as bad about what she was going to have to do, but Isabel never took no for an answer.

Isabel placed her hand on Annie's shoulder which snapped the girl out of her thoughts, Annie met her eye. She stared softly down at the blonde, "you know I want to be with you as an MP, Annie, but this is my dream. It's always been my dream. There's a lot of skilled Scouts who I can count on, besides, I know a few of us were considering joining so I won't be alone."

"If I find myself in trouble and can't make it back," She paused and sniggered quietly. "Then you'll have the satisfaction of being right about me not being able to protect myself."