chapter four

ANGELIC – CHAPTER FOUR

Isabel stood on the top of the rooftop, her eyes stared blankly at the city before her. Trost was now titan territory, and she was stuck in the middle. The tears had dried on her cheeks making them feel stiff, but she did not care, she felt like being sick, but she couldn't. The fear was still there, but she would not allow herself to crumble, not again, not ever.

She had to fight, if she wanted to live then she had to fight, no matter the cost, no matter who paid the price. She turned her head to her left, eyes focusing on the group in front of her. She wanted to believe they'd make it all out alive, if she were being realistic, maybe one or two would make it out, but she wasn't being realistic.

"Look at it this way, Armin, it's a golden opportunity. If we prove our worth here as soldiers now, we'll rise up right through the ranks. Before long, we could even be leading our own regiment." Eren spoke wishfully as he stared at the city. "We can bypass rookie status all together!"

Armin turned his head to his side, lips curling upwards. "Sounds good. I'm with you all the way."

"Now, now boys. You're not the only ones! Save some glory for the rest of us!" Mina grinned gaining their attention, her hand lying lazily on her hip.

"Good luck beating us to the punch a second time, Eren. No head starts for you this round." Thomas chipped in.

"Is that a challenge?" Eren looked smug as he answered, almost as if he knew it weren't a challenge and that he'd get all the kills.

"Whoever gets the most kills gets bragging rights." Thomas wagered, he turned his head to the silver-haired girl who stood on her own slightly further in. "Isabel, you in or are you going to sulk on your own?"

How are they not terrified, she thought as her head hung low. The words Eren has said to her not an hour earlier rang around in her head, she was never going to survive if she lived in fear. I have to be brave.

She lifted her head, a smirk on her lips. "Is that even a question? I rank higher than all of you put together, I'll get the most kills, I guarantee it."

"Better not fudge your scores." Eren drew the attention back to him, sending Isabel a small smile as she appeared to have pulled herself together.

"Squadron 34 move out! The vanguard needs support!"

The group of Cadets huddled together for a moment, eyes filled with fury and a strong will to survive. "All right, let's give 'em hell!"

Squad 34 yelled in excitement before shooting off into the air, heading towards the vanguard. Isabel began to feel slightly at ease as she soared through the air, she had always loved the feeling of flying through the air, not even the titans could take away that feeling.

Her feet thudded against the rooftops as she prepared to launch herself into the air once more. I'm not afraid, she thought with a grin as she looked amongst her squad. If they can do it, so can I.

"There's so many of them!" Mina complained as her eyes scanned Trost. "The vanguard were completely overwhelmed."

"Then we're going to have to fight!" Isabel shouted loudly, her eyes looking over to the titans that roamed the town. They're nothing more than rodents, she thought, eyes glinting as she looked down at them. They look so tiny right now. "We have to kill them-"

"We've got an abnormal!" Eren screeched, interrupting Isabel. "Get out of the way!"

Isabel felt her heart stop as she stared at the incoming titan, it jumped through the air and was headed towards them. She barely managed to get away, launching her body towards the closest rooftop. Her body crashed against the roof and she began to roll. "No, no, no." She muttered trying to get a grip of the roof . . . she fell.