Chapter 9

Emaya wasn't aware of the effect she has on Adish. But she does know why Aniqa, who shares a dormitory with her, avoids her. Aniqa is in ACore Four (the group which Zayyan warned her about.) Same group as Emaya's cousin Aaban. There was a time when Emaya and Aaban were best friends but lost connection over time. Even in family gatherings, Emaya and Aaban never bumped into each other. But Emaya did hear about him, she did heard how he has abandoned his title as a Khan, how much he despite his own family. She knows he avoids her in the hallway and mess, and this is the reason why Aniqa avoids her too. She knows Ahil is a friend of Aaban too.

And Emaya didn't care if Ahil and Aniqa are friendly with her or not, but now that she is working on a project with Ahil, she could not avoid him. And when Aniqa came to their table in the library, with a murderous look and thought about her cousin, Emaya couldn't help but ask.

"What did my cousin do to make you this angry?"

"Your cousin, no offense, but is an idiot."  Aniqa gritted her jaw, and sat beside her with a loud thump

"Yeah! He is an idiot, I know." And Emaya agreed with her. This much encouragement was enough for Aniqa, as she started her angry banter on how much she wanted to murder Aaban Khan and why.

Aaban Khan has no manners, he is disrespectful. He doesn't know how to talk, and the way he walks, as if he owns the place, it is very annoying.

He chews his food loudly, he always steals food from her plate, and his arrogant smirk when a girl looks in his direction more than once.

Everything about Aaban Khan is irritating.

"Looks like my cousin didn't grow up." That's all Emaya Khan manages to say after Aniqa was done.

"He didn't. Trust me, five years old are more mature than him."

•••

Aniqa Baig never thought that the girl she has been avoiding can be this much friendly.

She and Emaya Khan instantly clicked on. They had many things in common, they shared many jokes together, even Ahil Mirza warmed up with her. But as soon as they left the library, Ahil didn't glance back at her.

"All I am saying is that Aaban won't like it if he gets to know about your friendship with Emaya." Ahil once again told Aniqa when she asked him why he is avoiding Emaya.

"So what? We are not Aaban's puppet ki jaisa woh kahega waisa hi hoga." Aniqa shrugged her shoulder and asked.

Ahil and Aniqa were sitting on the floor of the common room, in front of the fireplace, and their books spread before them. Aaban and Adish hadn't returned from their football practice yet, that's why they find this time more than perfect to talk about Emaya.

"Aniqa, you are saying this because you are angry at Aaban, and you want to irritate him. I know forming a friendship with Emaya will make him angry but we shouldn't play with our friend's emotions." Ahil shut the book in his lap and looked at Aniqa with a poker face, trying to explain the sensitivity of the situation.

"I have no intention to play with his emotions. And mind you, I'm not like you, who uses people. You will be friendly with Emaya in the library just because you both are working on a project but will ignore her outside of the library just to please your friend." Aniqa shook her head on her friend and loudly said, catching the attention of a few of the students present there, which made her quickly look down.

"Yes, because friendship with Emaya isn't worth Aaban's anger." Ahil nodded his head and whispered, his voice was only for two of them, no third person could hear him.

A few second-year students were still looking at them, that's why he was whispering.

"That's really shallow, Ahil. You can't be nice to her in the library and avoid her outside of it. And why does it matter if Aaban likes her or not. She is friendly with us and I'm not gonna be rude to her again." Leaning over his side, Aniqa said in the same tone as his, while pretending to write something in her notebook.

"You should know that you are not Aaban or Adish's puppet. If they don't get along with someone it is their problem, you shouldn't judge that person on their perspective. Besides, Emaya isn't like what Aaban described her." Aniqa shrugged her. She really liked Emaya, she really wanted to be friends with her.

Not because they share the same perspective on Aaban, but because they have too many things in common. Besides, it was hard being the only girl in three boys, she has realized that she needs more girly company.

"Aniqa, what's wrong with you? Remember Four Code of ACore?" Ahil asked with disbelief written on his face.

There were four rules in their friendship which no one dares to break.

The second rule was. "Friend's enemies are our enemies, I remember," Aniqa mumbled.

"I'm just saying, Emaya really isn't an enemy. And besides, I need female friends. You guys eat my brain out. I need a smart company. And I kinda like her. She is a nice girl. She even stopped Randhawa from talking bad words about me. Not that I can't handle Randhawa but Emaya still did. She is a nice girl. And I'm not saying this to irritate Aaban or something." She took a deep breath and softly said.

"I... Don't know... I just don't wanna hurt Aaban's feelings because you know how sensitive he is." Ahil took a sigh and told her, while softly holding her hand.

"Neither would I want to hurt his feelings." Aniqa put her free hand over his and solemnly said. At that moment, Ahil saw a flicker of light in her sapphire blue eyes.

Before Ahil could say anything, the door of the common room opened and entered Aaban Khan and Adish Malik.

"This year, trophy would be our." Said Aaban Khan, ecstatically. As he high-fives Adish.

"I can not wait to see the expression of Zayyan once we lift the trophy." Adish matches with his excitement and said, already imaging Zayyan's expression.

Seeing them, Ahil was about to leave Aniqa's hand but she has gripped his hand without even realizing it, as she was busy looking at Aaban and Adish.

Aaban was the first one who noticed them sitting together, while Adish was the one who noticed their entwined hands.

"How could you? You are cheating on me?" Adish loudly exclaimed, pretending to be hurt as he put his head on Aaban's shoulder.

This made Aniqa rolled her eyes as she removed her hands from Ahil's hand.

"Waise tum meri baat kar rahe the ya Ahil ki?" She later asked, mischievously.

"Tumhe kon jhel sakta hai. Main toh Ahil se baat kar raha tha." Adish said as he threw himself on the one armchair.

He and Aaban were still in their football Jersey, the blue and white shorts and t-shirts were sticking to their toned body due to sweat, which was now drying because of the cold temperature, their hair was also wet and stick to their forehead, Aaban keeps messing with his har while Adish let them be like that. Nothing he could do to make them neat.

"Babe, how could you cheat on me with Baig?" Adish turned to Ahil and asked, in return got a cushion on his face by Ahil.

All three of them didn't notice Aaban's dark look, who was still looking between Ahil and Aniqa.

Thinking what did he miss