27: Oh, Briti you're so Pretty

I teleport Brit and I to the cafeteria in the morning, avoiding Janine. Sasuke has only one arrow sticking out of him when he enters the cafeteria. Either he's getting faster, or Janine's getting bored.

"Eat quickly and we'll go to the field before Janine gets here." I suggest to Briti, piling up my tray and hustling over to the table. She places a few items on her own tray and joins me.

We're on the field before Janine shows up just as I have been doing for the last month.

"How long have you been here?" Brit asks.

"Six weeks." I reply.

"How long are people usually here?" She asks.

"Mmhmm-mm, varies. Kali, my old roommate was here a little over two months, Thomas has been here nearly two and a half months. Miguel was here almost a year, I think. Ambien has been here for years. Varies." I answer.

"Hey, ladies." Sasuke greets, walking up to the field. He's been following my example recently in an effort to avoid being Janine's soul victim. He opted out of me teleporting him after he hurled his guts up that one time. It's only a matter of time before Janine catches on and changes up her tactics at this rate.

"Hey." Briti replies, enthusiastically.

"In celebration of Thomas leaving us tomorrow I have an easy task for you all today. Once you all dig a hole as tall as you, you are free for the rest of the day." Janine announces, unlocking the shed.

"Really?" Thomas confirms, a large grin on his face. "Yes. Yes. Yes." He celebrates, excited energy radiating off him.

Janine tosses a shovel at him that he catches just in time.

"You'll be heading back to Idaho. Twin Falls." My ears perk up at the mention of my hometown.

"Idaho." He considers, probably torn between being close to his family and being a state away from Kali.

Janine hands out shovels to the rest of us and waves us off.

I push on the rim of the shovel with my foot, expecting it to slide into the soft dirt of the field with ease. I should have known; nothing can be easy with Janine. The tip of the shovel doesn't penetrate past the grass. I look around to find everyone facing the same frustration.

Thomas lifts the shovel over his head, stabbing it into the earth with all his strength. It appears to go in a few inches. Sasuke jumps on the shovel like a pogo with no success. Ambien lays the shovel and herself on the ground. Briti looks at me and I shrug. I try Thomas's tactic with similar results, but at least it's something. Hours pass and I have a hole barely big enough to fit my foot in.

My frustration level is at a thousand. I proceed to beat the ground with the shovel, not caring about the hole anymore and merely seeking the suffering of the confounding earth. I toss the shovel aside and punch the ground furiously. Large divots form where my fists land. I freeze, tilting my head in confusion. I scoop the dirt out handfuls at a time. Suddenly the dirt is as soft and yielding as you would expect in your standard grass covered field. It's the shovel.

I pull out large handfuls of dirt. In minutes, my hole has doubled in size. Digging the hole by hand will take hours more, but at least it's progress. This is a good opportunity for Briti to impress, so she can get out of here. I glance at Janine, but she is already looking at me waiting to see what I'll do next. So much for that idea. I look around for alternative shovel ideas but see nothing.

I consider telling everyone but then I remember Dr. Hemsworth's threat after I warned Briti about the cupcakes.

"How are you digging with your hands?" Thomas asks, noticing me. I can't be held responsible if they notice what I'm doing. I just keep scooping handfuls out. Thomas does the same and soon Sasuke and Briti catch on as well. Ambien continues to lay there, disinterested in playing Janine's games today.