28: Goodbye Thomas, Hello Suffering

"Say your goodbyes, Thomas. You have a long drive to Idaho ahead of you." Janine instructs, interrupting breakfast.

"Goodbye guys." Thomas bids with a half-smile, getting up from the table.

Briti hops up from her spot beside him. She gives him a big hug. "Goodbye, Thomas. Good luck." She says.

"See ya around." Sasuke says, giving Thomas a bro hug.

I stand, coming around the table awkwardly. "Bye, Thomas. I hope things go well for you in Idaho." I well wish, patting his arm.

He wraps me in his large arms, nuzzling my cheek into his big firm chest. "You'll get out of here soon, Sara. Just keep your chin up." He encourages.

I wrap my arms around him, patting his back before pulling away. "Thanks." I reply, smiling up at him.

"Bye, Ambien." Thomas says.

She looks up from her sausage log house and nods.

Thomas chuckles with a shrug. "See y'all around." Thomas bids his final farewell, walking out of the cafeteria, toward his new life.

I stare up at the grey clouds, enjoying the drizzle on my face. It's a beautiful summer rain. I can't help but think about home. considering that is where Thomas is heading right now. Do I wish I were? The way I left things I'm not in much of a hurry to get back. The idea of starting a new life does not sound so bad. Mia's lovely face pops into my mind. I haven't had the courage to ask dad about anyone back home, least of all Mia. She probably hates me now. Even as I have the thought, I know it isn't true. Hating isn't something Mia does. Worse, she probably pities me. Whatever she felt for me before, whatever good she somehow saw in me replaced with my new identity. The girl who tried to kill herself.

I call my dad at the end of the day. As we finish up our standard pleasantries, I hesitate to ask. I have been avoiding the subject. Dad has volunteered some information about everyone back home. That grandma is doing good and has her diabetes under control. Even that Cameron and Kyle have been helping around the store. That they even drag "that quiet girl" Michelle with them, sometimes. This makes me feel happy and guilty all at once. Mostly he just says that everyone is fine. I haven't asked though, and I certainly haven't asked about her.

"How is everyone?" I ask.

"Everyone is good." He replies, too cheerfully. It seems like he is lying. But what about?

"Good." I comment. We are both quite for a moment. "How is Mia?" I ask the question I really want to know and don't want to know the answer to.

"Mia?" He asks. "Oh." He hesitates. "She called to ask how you were after..." He is quiet for a moment. "She asked me to tell you, she doesn't blame you. That she's okay." He admits. She doesn't blame me. It's a relief but for some reason it makes me feel more guilty. Maybe it's because the words are confirmation that there is something to be blamed for.

"Oh, good." I reply.

"You have some really great friends, Lane. We're all waiting for you to come home." His words are so sweet and so bitter. He doesn't know I won't be coming back. What if I could? My only hope is Briti. My only hope for getting back home to my dad and friends. It's a tiny sliver but knowing I have people waiting for me gives me the will to try anyway.

"I'll be home soon, dad." I say with as much conviction as I can muster.

"I love you, Lane. I'll call you Monday, okay." He bids.

"Okay. I love you. Bye, dad." We hang up. I told him after the incident with Bob that I can't talk on the weekends. Of course, I didn't tell him why.