Chapter 9-Essence

Percy stood still, waiting for Aether to engage. He didn't have to wait long. In a blink, the primordial of light was before him, trying to slice at his neck. He met the swing with little difficulty, locking their swords together, refusing to let Aether break the clash. He pressed forward with his strength, trying to press his opponent back, while they battled mentally for dominance over the others' aura. It seemed like a rather even match. 

With a wild move, Aether released the battle of strength, before chopping at Percy's unoccupied arm. An appendage fell from where he had struck. When Aether saw it, he cursed to himself. It was just a part of the clothing. He had hoped for something more. Raising his sword to counter the return stroke Perseus sent his way, Aether's mind was overclocking. He believed himself to have a minor advantage, but based on the excited face in Percy's expression, he wasn't confident of this fact. Perhaps the boy is just insane. With a feint low to the right, Aether stepped out of the motion, instead coming around to slice at Percy's shoulder. He cut into the skin, his sword going deeper and through bone. The boy seemed to go limp. Aether looked at his prey with satisfaction. The most challenging fighter he had seen yet. None could hold off light itself though. He turned, and closed his own eyes, preparing himself to flash away to his own domain. However, before he could complete the action, he was pushed forward, nearly falling over before he recovered into a somersault. When he had landed again, he had his sword pointed back toward Percy. His face morphed to one of shock. 

Percy was standing on his feet, no cut marring his body, a scar where the open wound once was. His eyes were pure obsidian, glowing with power. Traces of red splashed across his irises, seeming to vanish and reappear again. His mouth was curved into a snarl. Before Aether could speak, the boy charged, prepared to rip the primordial to shreds. Once again, blades met, but Percy exuded his aura and shoved the embodiment of light to the ground with a small effort of will. Aether recovered rapidly, realizing he was fighting a whole new creature. Attempting the same move he had used before, he was mid lunge when Percy chopped at his arm. Making solid contact, Aether nearly collapsed, his limb falling without him. It hit the ground with a sickening thud. Percy looked at it with disdain, before flashing a sinister smile. Aether had grabbed his blade just before it fell, holding it in his left hand, which was only slightly less capable than his right. But even a minor difference changed everything in the swordplay world. Aether stood no chance now, and he knew it. Although it was debatable whether he ever stood a chance in the first place. 

This new form Aether had seen Percy release made him fear for his life. His weapon would do him no good in this fight unless something changed. He resorted to the last skill he thought could save him. Mentally, he rammed Perseus with everything he had, attempting to gain access to his mind, or overpower him with his aura. He withdrew half his strength after accomplishing nothing, prepared to defend. 

It was no use. 

As soon as Percy channeled his energy, Aether was forced to the ground. Stepping forward with light steps, he stood over the body of his enemy, proud of his achievement. He had more than brought a primordial to its knees. Suddenly, a flash marked the appearance of a new being. Percy tunneled his aura around himself, keeping Aether on the ground with a hand, and preparing some extra energy, before he saw who the other person was. Nyx. His mother. 

"Mother," He said in a dangerous voice. "What brings you here?" His tone demanded answers. Nyx looked him in the eyes, her shadowy tendrils following as she took steps closer. She was displeased with the attitude he showed, but she also feared his instability. She approached until but a few feet kept them apart. She could see wariness, desire for blood, and some form of care in his expression. It wasn't reassuring to see. "I have come to prevent a dire mistake. Aether must live. My Hemera needs her other light. And you know the embodiment of light itself is very essential." Nyx spoke cautiously, watching her word choice. This boy was not the same she had cared for. He seemed to think about what she said for a few moments. Then, he took a deep breath, and Aether began panting heavily. He stopped after a second or two. Finally he answered. "I will let him go, at a price. I have taken some of his essence. If he attempts to harm me again, he will fade. I will take the rest. No third chance. If I expire, perhaps I'll let him have what I took. We shall see if I'm feeling generous." Nyx nodded in response. She could've asked for more, but her son was in a fighting mood. She had little faith she'd win if it came to blows. Especially when his aura was as overpowering as it was. She flashed away, leaving Percy to deal with the primordial. The boy turned, narrowing his eyes. "I am tempted to still take your life... but maybe that'll wait. For now I have some revenge to find. Goodbye weakling." He waved his hand, and Aether vanished. He himself then shadow traveled away into the darkness his mother left behind, doing as he said. 

He could use some balance at the moment. Time to have a little meeting with his significant other.