Chapter 3

Thankfully, I didn't get lost on my way back to the house. After unloading and putting the groceries into empty cabinets, I dig through our partially unpacked belongings to collect the supplies I need to cook ramen. 

I turn on my speaker and hum and slowly sway my hips as Matt Maltese sings "As the World Caves In". Sad music seems to get me and I'm always in the mood for it. It's not that I don't like happy music, but I just like how much emotion and feeling sad music has. 

I eat up my ramen and then take two packs of mochi to my new room to munch on while I begin to unpack and decorate. I love my new room. It's spacious and since it faces the backyard, it has a huge window, so there is a lot of natural light. Or, there would be if it were daytime. I fit my silky lavender sheets to the bed and then fling the cool, gray comforter on top. Next, I fold my fuzzy, ivory blanket on the edge of the bed, certain I won't need it on this hot night. 

I stop for a mochi break, downing four, then continue organizing. It's a good night. 

As I'm hanging up my clothes in my closet, I let my thoughts wander to the boy from the convenience store. Thinking about him just makes me feel embarrassed for myself again, but I find that I don't want to stop. He was sweet. And he was so good-looking. He could definitely be college-aged, but he could also still be in high school. I wonder which school he goes to? Why didn't I ask his name? I mean, yeah, I'm a coward, but I should've. Oh well.

By midnight, my room looks pretty much finished. I just have some of my anime poster to put up, but Eren, Levi, and Mikasa can wait until tomorrow. 

I curl up in my bed, feeling a bit lonely. I'm used to being on my own because of my parents' professions, but talking to that boy today seemed to have awoken something in me. Why do I want to talk to someone? Why do I want to have company?

----------------------------

I awake with a jolt when my alarm goes off. Fuck. I forgot I agreed to start school today at Nekoma High. I must've been inspired by my mom's will to start working immediately or something. All I know is that I'm not feeling inspired now. I feel tired and I don't want to start a new school right now. I feel my anxiety peeking its head out. So many people....

I build up the courage to get out of  bed and trudge to the kitchen. Looking around, I find that nothing sounds good, so I pop open another pack of mochi because why the hell not?

I woke up with plenty of time to get ready, so I brush my teeth and hair, then I sit myself down at my vanity table. Surveying my makeup, I decide to just throw on some concealer, blush, a little bit of dark brown eyeshadow, and mascara. I look at myself in the mirror.

"Okay, not too bad," I think. My makeup skills are not fantastic, but I know how to use the basics to enhance my favorite features. 

Next is the uniform. It's not bad, much better than the orange uniform that I had to wear at my last school, but still a boring school uniform. 

I pull the skirt up my hips and zip it, thankful that it fits. I then pull on the white, collared shirt, tucking it into the navy skirt, and securing a red bow at the collar. 

Satisfied, I grab my bag and head to the kitchen. My lunch is boring, but it'll work. I throw in a mochi as a treat. I check my watch and see that if I catch the next bus, I can get to Nekoma with plenty of time to get my bearings so that I don't get lost. 

The bus ride is uneventful, which I'm grateful for, and I walk from the bus stop to the school with earbuds in, trying to keep my nerves to a minimum.

I go over my schedule in my head for about the tenth time. First is math (ew), then art (yay), Japanese, social studies, English, then chemistry (EW). My parents think that I'm going to follow in their footsteps and go into the medical field, but I hate it. I will admit, I have been feeding into their belief that I am, but I can't bring myself to crush their hopes for me. They're both so smart and passionate about medicine. If I could be, I would, but I'm not great at math and science, and I just don't find it interesting. I've managed to do well in all of my courses thus far, but I'm always barely hanging on. I keep telling myself that I'll tell them I want to study art or maybe not even go to college, but I don't want them to think I'm a failure. 

I'm so lost in thought that I suddenly realize I'm entering the front doors of Nekoma. Kids in matching uniforms are all around me, talking to friends, purposefully walking to their classrooms...Well, here goes nothing.