Chapter 8

When I walk in the door, I immediately see my mother sitting on the couch, with a knowing smile on her face. 

"So...I happened to look out the window a few minutes ago and I saw you talking to you 'friend'. What a tall...handsome...'friend' you have, y/n." Ah, great.

"Mom, there's nothing going on there. He's just my friend, who, might I remind you, I've only known for a couple of days. Like seriously, just because some of his anatomy is different from mine doesn't mean I can't just be friends with him." I groan, knowing she probably won't let this go. I've never had a friend that happens to be a guy and I haven't had a real friend around in a long time. 

"Okay, okay," she says, putting her hands up. "Just tell me his name. What is this bo--friend's name?"

"It's Kuroo. Kuroo Tetsuro." I say. I like the way his first name rolls of my tongue. I realize I haven't spoken it aloud before because he just told me it today. 

"Kuroo...I like it." My mom says getting off the couch and heading to the kitchen. "So, I think I'm going to start making dinner now, I haven't cooked in this kitchen yet! Anything you want in particular?"

I tell her my request and she starts cooking. I sit on a chair at the counter and work on homework while she cooks and sings along to the music we're playing. I like having her home.

We eat dinner and she tries to sneakily ask me questions about Kuroo all throughout, but I manage to keep my responses vague. It's not that I don't want her to know I like being around him, I just don't want her reading into anything. Because there's nothing there. We're friends.

I finish out my night with some sketches in my sketchbook, then taken a warm shower and crawl into bed. As I lay there, staring at the ceiling, I realize I'm smiling. I actually feel happy and today was one of the best days I've had in a while. 

----------------------------------------

My alarm goes off and I groan as I get out of bed. Mondays really are the worst.

As much as I hate them though, I find that I'm in a good mood once I have some breakfast in me. I put on my uniform and makeup with extra care and feel satisfied with how I look. I even listen to happy music on the way to school.

School itself isn't too bad either. My first art project is coming along nicely and Saito is making progress too, so we're still allowed to sit together. I even manage to convince her to go to the volleyball game with me on Wednesday. I wouldn't mind going alone, but I think that it would be fun if she was there. I'm sure she'd have good commentary. 

"I'll see you tomorrow, y/n! Good luck on your chem quiz, I know you're gonna DESTROY that shit!" Saito says, blowing me a kiss as we leave the lunchroom and head to our afternoon classes. 

"I sure hope so," I think to myself. I do feel pretty good about the ions. Even though I won't admit it to him, Kuroo is a fantastic teacher...

My next few classes are boring and I spend them studying for chemistry on the down low. When it's finally time for chemistry, I feel nervous and jittery. I can't tell if it's because of the quiz or because I'm so excited to see Kuroo. 

I sit down at my desk and wait for him to come in. I'm sure he'll come over to say something to me. I mean, he has everyday so far. The bell rings and the sensei enters, closing the door behind her. Kuroo isn't here. 

"What the hell?" I wonder, glancing at his empty desk. He implied he'd be here today when he said goodbye to me yesterday. "It's fine, it's fine. There's obviously nothing wrong, kids miss school everyday. Something probably just came up and he couldn't be here today. Maybe he caught a cold or something."