1. It's okay

A loud horn wakes me up. I open my eyes just in time to see the truck curve past a precariously driven car. Both the drivers got lucky.

Yawning, I look at my car's dashboard screen. I can't believe it's four already. I slept longer than I'd planned.

Without wasting more time, I turn the key and start the engine. Hopefully I reach home before it's too dark.

A year ago I left my home at the Ronan Valley packland for college. I haven't returned since then. I made all the excuses I could to avoid going back, but this time, no excuse. Grandma is sick.

I reach home by nine with a mix of nostalgia and anxiety. However, the warm embrace of my mother and her sweet scent calms me in a heartbeat.

"Grandma is upstairs. Go see her. Then wash up and come down for dinner," mom says.

Grandma has been living with us since grandpa passed away. Her room is opposite mine.

"Is that you, puppy?" I hear grandma's voice say when I climb out of the last stair, making me smile. Her hearing is as good as ever. I could never sneak up on her.

As I enter her room I feel troubled when I see her bony cheeks. She had lost a lot of weight. "How are you grandma?" I ask her.

"Now that you're here, I'm better than I've ever been," she says as she sits up on her bed and embraces me in her skinny arms.

Liar.

Like in old days, I tell her about everything I'd seen in the world outside. And now that my world has become bigger since college, I've a lot to say. I haven't talked to my grandmother like this in a while.

I rub my eyes, feeling tired. The long hours of car drive is catching up to me. My grandma sends me away.

I freshen up and head down for dinner just as mom instructed. "Where's dad and Rick?" I ask her, noticing the empty dining table.

"They are in a meeting. They wanted to wait till you arrive, but it was an urgent meeting so they couldn't postpone," mom explains.

"It's okay," I say with a smile, while secretly feeling upset at my Beta father and brother for placing their pack duties before me.

It's been only a little while since I'm back home and my life already begins to feel like how it was in the past, when everyday I felt inferior for being born a human in my Beta family.

I quickly finish my dinner and go for a second serving. Been desperately waiting to eat mom's cooking.

After the lavish meal, I head back to my room to hunker in for the night. I'm too tired to stay awake till dad and Rick return home.

When my sore back sinks into the spring mattress and the pain starts to seep out of my body I sigh in relief. My eyes begin to close.

However, the thought of my mate quickly crosses my mind. Will I be able to avoid seeing him during my stay?

I fall asleep before I could guess an answer. 

——— A/N ——— 

Hey, hey, hey there!!! <3

How are you guys doing? Feeling up for reading another story before this year ends? 

I finally have some time in my hands now, so decided to write ML5 before life gets between us again. 

I'm thinking of writing a chapter a day (two chapters if one of them is very short.) So wish me luck ;)

If you like a particular chapter or scene, I'd really appreciate you letting me know that in the comments. That helps me know which parts of the story you find the most entertaining, and I can draft a better plot next time based on that. 

It also helps the book if you vote on the chapters. 

And if you're my first time reader, this book is the fifth story in my "Mate and His Lover" series. You can check out all the other stories, and some more, in my author page. 

— xxx, Auctorsam