21. You're the Alpha now

I go to my room and sit on my bed. I realize my face is wet from sweat and tears. I go to the bathroom and splash water over my face.

I come back to my bed and sit down again, feeling like someone whose adrenaline is beginning to wear off. I can feel a headache coming.

After a few minutes, my room door is thrown open. Rick comes in. "What was that?" he asks.

Even on a normal day, I would be intimidated by Rick's serious voice, and now he's the Beta.

"W-What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean. You called out Black."

"I was scared he was going to die."

"So was I. But I didn't shout his name. No one else did."

I swallow. "I'm not a werewolf like all of you. I cannot watch someone die in front of me without saying anything just because I'm duty bound."

"No. It's more than that. The way you looked, and the way his wolf reacted after you called its name. What's between you and him?"

The headache I was anticipating arrives. I massage my temples. Why won't Rick ask Cole all these questions?

And thinking of the devil, Cole comes in now.

"Leave her alone, Rick," Cole says to my brother.

"Not till I know what's going on between you two," Rick says.

"It's an order. Leave."

Rick snorts. "It's been only a few seconds since you've become the Alpha. Don't you dare try to order me around."

"I'm not going to let you bother her."

"She's my sister! What's it to you whether I bother her or not?"

Cole's jaws tighten. "She's mine," he says. My hands over the bedsheet curl.

Rick grabs Cole's collar. "What the fuck did you say?"

I get up. "Rick! Please. Let him go."

Cole smirks at his Beta. "She's my mate."

A shocked Rick lets go off the collar and looks at me. I bite my lips and look away. "Is it true?" he asks me. I slowly nod.

"The fuck," Rick says and goes to hug Cole with a big grin on his face. "The fuck, man. Why didn't you tell me?"

My turn to be surprised. This is the reaction Rick gives? That's not what I'd imagined how it would turn out.

"Why don't you ask your sister?" Cole says, "She's the one who didn't want anyone to know."

Rick looks back at me. "Why? Why didn't you tell me Daisy?"

I don't answer him and keep looking away. My brother is the last person on the planet who would understand or accept my life choices.

When I continue not to answer, Cole answers for me. "She doesn't want to be my Luna."

"Why not?" Rick says.

They both are talking about me like I'm not here, or like they forgot I'm human.

"Good question," Cole says, "Why don't you tell him why, Daisy? Or do you want me to answer that for you, too?"

I glare at Cole. He shouldn't have told our secret to Rick. "Go ahead do whatever you want," I bitterly say, "You're the Alpha now after all."

"If it bothers you that much, why did you call out to my wolf?" he says.

How could he ask me such a question? He knows why I did what I did. "I just didn't want Ian to be the Alpha."

"That's it?" Cole says.

"That's it."

"There, we got our answers, Rick. Let's leave her alone now," Cole says as he drags away a dumbstruck Rick. This is probably the first time Rick had seen Cole and I talk to each other like this.

I sit back down on the bed, feeling exhausted.