14. The renovation is over

"Is he really your roommate?" Nina asks, coming and standing beside me while I'm cooking.

"Nina, this is the hundredth time you're asking me that. And the answer is still the same. Yes, he's really my roommate."

"Don't be silly. It's only the twelfth time," she says, "He's so hot!"

He's also gay. But I can't tell her, or anyone else, that.

Peter is a closeted gay. I found out he was looking for a place to stay through his "secret" boyfriend, Timmy.

Timmy and I are from the same department. Unlike, Peter, Timmy is openly gay and likes to flock around his gayness like a girl showing off her fresh manicure.

When Timmy recommended me a guy roommate I refused. Then Timmy somehow persuaded Peter to meet me and tell me in person that they're dating each other.

I thought it was fine if Peter was gay, otherwise, it would've been a problem. You can't tell Peter is gay by looking at him. He looks straighter than many straight men out there.

Both by behavior and appearance he's very masculine, and sometimes intimidating. I still can't believe Timmy and Peter are a couple. Opposites sure attract each other.

Surprisingly, I got well with Peter once we started living together. He's usually aloof with others but opened up to me in no time. He probably feels like he can be himself with me because I know his secret.

He also has an overprotective big brother streak to him, the same streak that made him pack up and come here looking for me.

"When you're done drooling over him, go get us some eggs," I tell Nina.

After Nina leaves for the grocery store, Peter comes into the kitchen. "Your friend is scary," he says.

I laugh. "Better lock your door at night," I tell him.

"I think I will. By the way, when are you going to tell me what's the problem with your brother?"

Okay. Let's see... How do I explain my Beta brother's behavior to my human friend?

"This is a remote place, Peter. We don't have any police station here. For years, the law and order in this town is overseen by a local council. My brother is an important member of that council. He makes sure malicious strangers don't come into the town."

"Do I look like a malicious stranger to you?"

"By default, he considers all strangers malicious until proven otherwise."

"He must not be very popular with people then."

"Let me assure you, he is very popular here, but enough about him. When are you going back?"

"I just came here! I came all the way here because I was worried about you, and this is the thanks I get?"

"I am happy to see you. But as you can see people here are not fond of strangers."

"I don't give a damn about the people here. I'm not returning without you."

"Is that so?" Rick's voice reverberates from behind.

It was as if it's not bad enough that Rick is here and heard what Peter said, when I turn around I see that my brother had brought Cole with him.

"Rick, what are you doing here?" I say.

"Came to see how the renovation is coming along."

Since my arrival, Rick has been pretending like this house doesn't even exist, and now he has come to check on it?

"I'm almost done," I say.

"Good. Didn't need my help after all," Rick says.

"Not that you offered any," Peter mutters under his breath. I bite my lips. Peter doesn't know Rick can hear that. In my correspondence with Peter, since I've been home, I told him how much helpful my brother has not been for the renovation.

Now I wish I'd saved my rambling for when I saw Peter after going back.

"What was that?" Rick says to Peter, challenging Peter to repeat what he said. Peter straightens his back, ready to accept the challenge. I hold his hand immediately, stopping him from getting me in trouble.

"Peter here has offered his help. So I should be done with the renovation in a few days," I say to Rick.

"Guess you also don't need the guys we brought with us then," Cole says, speaking to me for the first time since we last saw each other, when he told me not to contact him ever.

I didn't think he still intended to keep his word and send me his guys for help.

"No. No. I'll take them. Peter is terrible at helping," I say, which is very true. Peter breaks one thing or another when he tries to help around the house.

Soon a group of big, burly men come and start to move stuff. By evening, the renovation is completo.

The guys leave as quick as they came, leaving behind me, Nina, Peter and a fully renovated house to celebrate. I call Perry to join us.

The guys might've sprinted well but Perry, Nina and I are the ones who ran the marathon.

I lie down on the backyard, looking up at the night sky, beginning to feel content.

This house was built by my grandpa, dad's father — my mom's parents passed away when she was young — and was given to my parents as a gift.

During the final days of my grandpa, when he was bedridden, he sometimes mentioned renovating this place.

One day, when only I was with him in his room, my grandpa told me I should live here with Cole.

That shocked me, to say the least. I asked him what he was talking about but he couldn't talk further.

There's no way anyone could've known about me and Cole. I'm sure of that. But I don't know why or how grandpa knew, and told me that.

After grandpa passed away I would sometimes think about this house. I know living here with Cole is impossible, but I could at least renovate it like grandpa wished it to be.

My mom felt the same about the house's renovation, that's why she put me up to it as soon as I came home.

Now that the renovation is over, I hope grandpa will rest in peace.