Not-Dad (School)

Tony usually wouldn't be concerned if Peter didn't feel like talking that day. After all, he has one of those days that he doesn't really want to be around anyone. He understands that. Really, he does. Which is why he gave Peter his space and didn't bug him about being so quiet.

Peter looked fined when he arrived. He smiled at Tony, said "Hi, Mr Stark", and began to tinker with an engine. He didn't talk much, which again was okay. It was nearing dinner time and Tony was going to ask the kid what he wanted to eat. It was when he heard the kid sniffle he started to worry.

Tony wasn't a parent. He would never call himself one. He thinks he would be too much like his dad, that doesn't change the fact that when he heard his kid sniffle for the second time he felt the need protect him from everything that could possibly hurt him.

Before he knew it, he had a sobbing teenager wrapped up in his arms. He didn't realize that moved, not that he cared at the moment.

"What happened Underoos?" Tony asked, his tone was soft and whispered. "What happened?"

Peter just held Tony tighter and continued crying.

Tony began to caress Peter's hair. "Come on kiddo, how am I supposed to protect you if you don't tell me what's wrong? You got to tell me so I can fix it, kid."

Peter hid his face in Tony's chest even more and mumbled. "I hate school so much."

"You have to be more specific than that, Pete." Tony was moving them to the couch. "Most kids hate school but not to the point where they cry." He paused. "Okay, sometimes they cry but not like this."

"It's just that there's this kid. He doesn't know when to stop messing with me. And for a bit, I thought that it's okay if he bothers me as long as he leaves the other kids alone." He held onto Tony slightly tighter and continued to mumble. "But today he just kept pushing and he wouldn't just shut up and then he said that it's my fault that my parents died. And Uncle Ben hired the robber to shoot him just so he could get away from me. He even said Aunt May blames me for his death and that she is going to kill herself, so she won't have to live with a murderer. Like, really what did I even do to him? I don't even talk to him and he has to go and bother me and say those things. I didn't mean for any of it to happen, I really didn't Mr Stark."

Tony began stroking the teen's hair calmly, all the while he thought of ways to fix the situation in a way that didn't end in murder. Violence, sure but murder would have to be off the table for the moment.

He took a deep breath to ground himself before releasing Peter from the hug and firmly planting his hands onto the teen's shoulders. Peter's face tear-stained, his eyes were rimmed red and hair a complete mess. He was looking down, embarrassed.

"Okay, Pete." Tony began, voice strong and reassuring. "I'm going to need you to take a deep breath, alright? Inhale, hold it and exhale slowly."

Peter did as he was asked with Tony mimicking the actions with him.

"Okay, that's good. Do it two more times with me okay?" Again, Tony did it with Peter. "Okay, that's great kid. Now I need you to lift your head and look at me, alright kid?'

It took Peter a moment but eventually, he did look at Tony.

"Alright, now this is what I'm going to need from you before we fix this problem. You are going to tell me who the hell that kid is. Don't look at me like that. You're going to tell me or I'll find out myself, either way, I'll get the kid's name."

"He-" Peter sniffled. "It's Eugene Thompson. But Mr Stark please don't do-"

"I don't want to hear it, Peter." He took a deep breath before continuing. "Thank you for telling me his name. Now, I'm going to call the school.

The teen opened his mouth about to protest but stopped at his mentor's next statement.

"Don't interrupt me, Pete. I'm going to call the school tomorrow since it's already late. I'm going to set an appointment with your principal and I'm going to address this situation. Now, I know that there is a zero-tolerance policy and you told me that this kid has been bothering you for a while, right?"

"Yeah." His voice was small.

"How long Pete?"

A murmur.

"What was that?"

"Since middle school."

Tony closed his eyes and took a deep breath before looking at the boy again. "Okay kid, so this definitely isn't okay. This is bullying and I know you know that. I'm going to do my best to make sure that this kid doesn't mess with you again, alright? Now, I'm going to have to tell May about this and I know you don't want that but I'm going to have to."

Peter looked like he was about to cry again. Tony, unable to resist the puppy-like look in his eyes brought the boy into a firm hug again before guiding both of them to the elevator.

"How 'bout we get some burgers and pizza for dinner? Then we could watch a couple of movies?"

"Okay..." Peter looked at the elevator floor. "Thanks, Mr Stark."

"Anything for you Underoos. Now come one, I think I can get May to let you stay the night."