*19* Forest of Death: Part 1

~~This chapter is dedicated to my first Editor Kuro who worked hard to edit this so I can get it published for you guys!~~

"It's time for you to go, girlie. You need to wake up now." Shukaku rumbled.

"Wake up? I was asleep this entire time?" Natsume asked, confused.

"Yes. Now go."

*3rd P.O.V.*

"Mmm...what..?" Natsume grumbled as she rubbed her eyes. Opening slightly, she hissed as the glare from the sun shined in her eyes. "Argh! Stupid sun!"

Rubbing her eyes once more, she grumbled before slowly opening up her eyes again, this time avoiding looking into the sky. Looking around, she realized how she was still on the roof from last night but the red-haired panda was missing.

"He could've at least woke me up..." She mumbled while pouting as she stood up. Stretching her body, she sighed before placing her hands on her hips and looking out into the village with a big smile on her face. "I'm all fired up now! Let's do this, Joy!"

Silence.

"Eh? Joy? Where are you?" Natsume frantically called out as she looked all around her.

"NATSUMEEEEEEEE!" A distant voice called out, seeming to get louder.

"Joy?" Natsume questioned, confused. Turning around, Natsume saw a blur before something barreled into her stomach. "OOF!" She gasped as she fell backwards onto the roof.

"Natsume! I was so worried! You never came back last night!" Joy cried as she hugged onto the pink haired girl.

"Sorry about that Joy. I got caught up talking to a panda and giant fluffy raccoon." Natsume explained with a giant smile.

"But Natsume....what about the exam?" Joy sniffled as she calmed herself down.

"Huh? What about the exam?" She asked, a smile still present on her face.

"We were supposed to meet Naruto and the others at the Forest of Death around 20 minutes ago." Joy explained.

"H-huh.....?" Natsume stuttered out, her face paling by the second as the smile on her face began to twitch.

She then quickly stood up and took off running, jumping from rooftop to rooftop while screaming, "NOOOOO! WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO SOOOONEEEERRRRR!!!!!"
Meanwhile, back at the rooftop, on a tree nearby stood a familiar redhead with his arms crossed.

"Hm." He sounded as he watched the frantic female run away.

'She's special.....Keep her alive....' The beast within him grumbled. He didn't understand why the monster liked the girl so much. This very monster was the being who hated humans and forced him to kill people, making Gaara himself become a monster. Yet now, this beast wants to keep this bumbling loud mouthed, talkative girl alive.

Whatever. Maybe now, he can be close to someone.

"Hm." he sounded once again in a form of acknowledgment before disappearing in a swirl of sand.

*Time Skip*

"I'M HEEEEERREEEEE! DON'T START WITHOUT MEEEEEE!!!" A voice yelled as a trail of smoke headed towards the group of people crowded in front of the large gates that were surrounding the forest.

"Made it!" Natsume yelled as she came to a screeching stop in front of her team.

"Natsume! You're late!" Sakura screeched loudly which caused Natsume to flinch as she immediately covered her ears.