Episode 40: (Keefe's POV)

SO sorry for the wait! I finally finished! 

This chapter has the first-ever super-exclusive Fitz's POV! (so exciting, ik) 

Enjoy!

Now that he thought about it, there had been another voice echoing in his head, so quiet that he'd brushed it off as his conscience.

"No, I don't think you have one of those," Fitz's voice dripped with venom. Keefe flinched.

"Get out of my head, please," Keefe said through gritted teeth.

Fitz snorted, and a small presence left Keefe's head, so subtle he hadn't noticed it before it was gone.

"Explain," the brunette hissed, his voice icy. "When exactly did you and Sophie kiss?"

"Let me explain." Keefe held up his hands in surrender, even as his brain was shouting at him for forgetting Fitz was still in his mind. Rookie mistake.

Fitz crossed his arms, his scowl wrinkling his forehead. He waited expectantly for Keefe to come up with the best way to phrase the words that could spell the end of their friendship- forever.

"First of all, it wasn't while you were dating," Keefe told him. "So there was no cheating involved."

Fitz's face softened slightly, and Keefe felt a stab of hurt at the idea that Fitz believed he would kiss his girlfriend. But... they'd almost kissed, hadn't they? And that had been while they were dating... But it hadn't happened. So it didn't count.

Right?

"It happened... earlier today, actually," Keefe hesitated. Had it really been only earlier that day? So much had happened, from his parent's argument to the kiss to Biana and talking to Fitz- it seemed like weeks had passed since that morning, when Keefe had stood in the rain and decided to face the truth.

Fitz's eyebrows pressed together, and he said slowly, "But Sophie and I broke up this morning."

"Right- I-" Keefe cursed himself again. "It wasn't like that."

"Like what? Like, my girlfriend and I broke up, and a few hours later you decided to comfort her and then make out with her?" If possible, Fitz's face became even stormier, shadows darkening his eyes with anger.

"No! I- I didn't plan it-"

"I'm assuming she definitely knows you like her." Fitz waited for Keefe's reluctant nods before continuing, "When did she find out?"

Great. Yet another question Keefe was hoping to avoid. "Well..." he hedged, stalling as much as he could. "She had a right to know... all of her options."

"When?"

"A few days ago," Keefe answered softly. "The...um. Two days before today."

"Did you tell her?" Fitz had obviously made the connection between that day and the day they'd broken up, judging from the clenched fists.

"Not... exactly," Keefe winced. "But before you get mad, nothing happened. And it's not like I planned it, and I wasn't even... nothing happened."

Fitz's foot tapped, and Keefe steeled himself. "We... almost kissed. But-" He added quickly as Fitz drew in a breath, "We didn't! Nothing happened! She pulled away!"

"But you would've kissed her. You would've let it happen, and ignored my feelings!" Fitz was angry. And Keefe really couldn't blame him. "And worse? Neither of you planned on telling me! How long were you going to keep this a secret?"