2

"Mom, where are we?" Ethan asked quietly, looking up at Wanda. She looked out of the window and then back at Ethan, "We're in New York. This was our second home."

He looked out of the window, fascinated with the place. Steve spoke from where he was in the jet, looking over Sam's shoulder out the windshield, "We're almost there."

You looked around the jet before your eyes landed on Wanda and Ethan again. She kissed his hairline, holding him close to her in her lap. You smiled softly, running a hand through his hair playfully.

Your mind wandered again back to the visions you had, and the name Proxima Midnight had given. So far, the things that had come true in your visions was Steve and the woman herself. Next would be a large field. Where was that?

Her thoughts were interrupted when the jet landed. She hadn't realized just how long she'd been lost in thought. Sam went to Vision, getting him to his feet and helping him out of the jet. Wanda stood, taking Ethan's hand in hers.

Pietro walked inside with Irina, walking after the three of you. You picked up Ethan, carrying him on your hips as you carried him inside with Wanda.

As you walked into the Avengers compound, you couldn't help the familiar feeling that flooded you. Wanda grabbed your free hand, walking closer to you. You smiled at him and sighed, turning back to Steve as you followed him.

You could hear talking from another room, you knew whose voice that was and it took a lot of self-control not to lash out at it.

You all entered the room, seeing Rhodes dealing with the red tape in the holographic person of Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross. You set Ethan down on his feet, moving in front of him protectively.

He looked up at you, "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, honey. Just give us a second," you assured him.

Steve spoke first, "Mr. Secretary."

Ross looked at Steve, and then to the rest of you, with a disapproving gaze. "You got some nerve, I'll give you that."

"You could use some of that right now," Natasha said.

"The world's on fire, and you think all is forgiven?"

Steve gave him a hard look, "I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way... we'll fight you, too."

He turned to Rhodes, "Arrest them."

Ethan went to move from behind you, but you stopped him with a gentle hand on his shoulder. "All over it," Rhodes answered, swiping off the hologram; the computer beeped twice.

"That's a court-martial," he muttered before slowly smiling, "It's great to see you, Cap."

They hugged, "You too, Rhodey."

Natasha got her own embrace. He turned to you and Wanda, deciding you could use hugs as well. "Good to see you, hothead."

"You, too, cripple," you responded. He pulled away, giving you a look. You smiled, "Too soon?"

He laughed and turned to Ethan, who he just realized was in the room. "Who's the little guy?" He questioned, kneeling down to Ethan's level.

He hid behind you a little bit, grabbing Wanda's hand shyly. She gave him a smile, "It's okay. He's a friend. This is Rhodey."

Rhodey smiled, holding a hand up, "Give me up top."

Ethan smiled a little and gave him a high five, "I'm Ethan."