One step ahead

" Wakey wakey boys. We have a big day ahead of us" Nate shouted around the room.
"Damo! James! Get up" he came in pulling the sheets of me and i squirmed like a headless chicken.

"Aye okay im getting up" i shouted using my hand to halt him. "Jesus fucking Christ mate" i mumbled.
"What did you say James?" Nate asked to figure it out

"I said clam your god damn farm"
"No need to get snappy" he chuckled and walked away proud.
I heard Nate doing the same thing to Damo in the next room. It was quite amusing listening to him rage. Damon is someone you should never wake up early in the morning and I've learnt that the hard way.

Nate was packed and ready to leave whilst Damo and I still had to get our stuff together. "I told you guys to do it before, why cant you fucking listen to me. No we aren't going to be on schedule"
Me and Damon looked at each other and smirked. "We are unorganised 19 year old males. What do you expect?" I said. Nate rolled his eyes. He was just too keen to get our and about.

I was hopping around trying to get my shorts on while packing my stuff in a bag. Nate had given up already and had slopped himself in front of the tv and his face leaned onto the palm of his had. His face was left in despair.
"Poor Nate... Didnt get to leave early. Boo hoo" Damon said mockingly.
"Shut up"
"You wanna go me aye?"
"I'll take you on anywhere, anytime pussay dawg"
I broke into a laughter.
"Okay come on, come at me... Just prepare to have a knuckle sandwich"
"That knuckle sandwich will have to take a rain check because I'm about to feed you a can of whoop ass" Nate shouted.
This was gold. I couldn't revive myself from my laughing fit. The boys had some tension going on and I knew Nate was angry and so was Damon.

I finally decided to step between then before anything got out of hand.
"Let it go Nate" i said as the wise me.
"Tell this dog to shut his pie hole" Nate said talking to me but starring at Damon ready to slam him at any moment.
"Damo shut your pie hole" I said. I wasn't meant to say it but I felt I needed to.
"James why the hell are you backing him up" Damon said coming closer to me.
"I never said I was with him"
"Will it sure looked like it"
"Okay lets clam down. We are going to the Gold Coast and it will be fun" I said trying to clam the aggression down. Like I said we are a bunch of 19 year old males. The testosterone gets pretty hight in here.

"Okay so are we ready to leave?" Nate said not bothering to acknowledge Damon's answer.
"Yeah I'm done" I said. This was going to be a battle of a trip, but they will sure clam down once Sam is here. A lady can make a couple of lads well mannered. Yeah right... Damon and Nate are two wild beast that cant be tamed.

We rented a car because what is a road trip without a car.... Or the road. It was a royal blue 2006 Holden Commodore. It was sweet, just like the one i have back home but only blue.

"Shot gun" Nate yelled. "Hey!" Damon said. "Well James is driving for the first hour and a half then im next so I need to be prepared to drive" Nate said fixing his hair.
"Fine whatever" Damon walked off. we all hopped in and I drove to Sams apartment.
I parked in the side of the road, "Give me a moment boys im getting Sam" I said quickly shutting the car door.
I ran to the elevator and quickly and steadily made my way down to her room.
I knocked and waited patently for her to open up. Finally i heard it open. Then it slammed shut. "Sam?" I yelled at the door.
"You jerk, go away"
"Sam.. It's not what it seems"
she opened it. Her eyes were watered and there were dry tear marks staining her cheeks.
"Then what is it then?"
I panicked and couldn't get my words out.
"Thats what I thought" she slammed the door once again.
I banged on it with my fist. "Sam.. Please"
She didn't answer.
"You know what fine.." I stormed of. My body was wanting me to go back but my mind said no. I felt the need to go back. But I couldn't do it.

I headed back to the boys. I drooped down into the drivers seat.
"James? Wheres Sam?" Nate asked. I sat in silence. "Nate please just dont even talk" I whipped out. I looked into the rear view morrow and saw Damon signalling Nate not to say anything.

It was quiet in the car about half an hour and we had finally left the city region.
"Im so sorry. I've ruined this trip" I said.
"No! You haven't... I have. I was so eager to leave early and it made it painful for you guys to come" Nate said sloughing down his seat.
"No its my fault. I was the one being a dick" Damon said also dragging himself into his seat.
"No guys stop. It wasn't any of your faults. I was the one giving you the silent treatment making you guys not talking or being excited... I shouldn't lay out my problems on you guys. Im sorry"
"Its all good James. We are here for you. We are the three best lads around remember." Nate said calmly.
"So are you ready to tell us what happened?" Damon asked. "Isaac.. Isaac thinks that I was playing with his girl and he told Sam and now Sam thinks I'm some kind of jerk."
I ran my fingers through my head nervously.
"Hey Damo, we gonna find that kid and beat him up. Show him what real men so" Nate said looking determined.
"Nate... Hes not a kid. Hes 23.." I said.
Nate expression softened, "he ain't got anything on me" he laughed and so did Damon. Then we all broke into a laughter.
"Well just think about it James.. She wasn't your girlfriend. Yet." Damon said cocking an eyebrow.
"Yeah so?!?"
"She cant really get mad at you for being with some other girl even though you didn't want to, you know what I mean?"
"Still..."
"still James, you can see who you want to" Nate said with a bit of sass.
"I don't want to see anyone else. I want her to be my girlfriend"
"Ewww who needs girlfriends, they hold you up." Nate said.
"So you don't intend on Charlie being your girlfriend?" Damon said.
he paused. "Pfft no way, thats gross being in a 'relastionship' im pretty good on my own" he said while drifting his eyes away out towards the window. He was one troubled kid, he just cant admit it that he likes her. "Damon you know how i feel don't you?" I said. Damon has been with so many girls that he probably couldn't remember half there names. But what could I say.. He's one good looking lad.
"Yeah I know that feeling.. Awesome feeling. I thinking of asking Tory out too" he winked and leaned back into his seat.
"I have a question Damon." I said while trying to concentrate on driving. "Yea what is it?" He said looking very curious. "Do you remember all the names of ever girl you've dated" I said. Nate cracked up "Yeah like he would remember all there names."
"Im offended.. I sure do know all there names" he said. "Katey.. Claire..Sandra.. Tracy... Nikki.. Monica.. Jessica.. Maddy.. Taylah.. Lucy.. Angie.. Umm who else? Oh yeah Audrey and Ella." Damon said sounding very proud. "My lord Damo you chick magnet." I said. "what about you boys, can you remember your girlfriends?"
"Um yeah... Her name was Cameron. I liked her a lot and we went out in year 9. I was a freshman what do you expect" I chuckled. "Ahaha I remember her. She was was alright." Damon said. "Yes! I remember her too" Nate yelled out. " Nate have ever had a girlfriend?" Damo asked. He softened "no.." We laughed. "Nate that wasn't a suprise at all" I said.

"Hey its my turn to drive now" Nate said. I pulled over to the side and jumped in the pack and Damon went into the passenger seat. We've only been the the car for an hour and a half and we still had another 7 hours to go. I started feeling hungry so I pulled out the esky and grabbed a bag of salt and vinegar chips. As soon as I opened the chips the smell filled the car leaving the boys drooling for some. I grabbed some and offered the boys some but then quickly took it back for myself.
"Damo, James shutup" Nate said while turning up the radio. It was our favourite song. "Into the JUNGLE" we all sung. We all sounded shit but we didn't care, it was fun while it lasted and the song turned of and went onto song sappy love song. "Say you. Say me." It came out. He all cracked up. But Nate was singing along with it. Damo and I looked at each other and laughed even harder.