Chapter 13 - Thanos

You made sure Pepper had everything to take care of Valyrie while you were gone. "Go on, do her some justice," Pepper told you, glancing over at Valyrie and Natasha sitting together on the couch.

Natasha looked tired, worn out. Valyrie just looked like she was sad. And she was, you knew this much.

You smiled at her and then turned to your daughter, sitting down next to her. You kissed her forehead, "Hey, Momma and I have to go. We'll be back soon, okay?"

Natasha nodded. Valyrie asked, "Are you sure? Last time you left, a lot of you didn't come back."

You held back your tears, wrapping your arms around Valyrie in a hug, pulling her into her lap. Natasha scooted over, grabbing Valyrie's hand.

"I know, Val," you told her, your voice shaky, "I promise, we will always come back to you. And do we break promises?"

She shook her head, "No."

Natasha grabbed her, pulling her into her own lap, "That's right. And if you ever think we won't come back, remember our song."

She thought for a moment and stood, retreating into a room and coming back a moment later with a small box. She looked at it, brushing her fingers over the top softly before telling her, "This was your Uncle Sammy's. We know you miss him."

Valyrie opened the box and saw a bracelet inside, it was a leather bracelet that you buckled around her wrist. "I'm sure he misses you, too," you told her softly.

You stood with Natasha, kneeling in front of Valyrie. "We love you, okay? Never forget that," Natasha told her.

"We'll always come back to you. Nothing will keep us from coming back to you," You told her, a weak smile on your face.

She hugged you both and said, "Okay."

You both kissed her forehead and left, following everyone out to Rocket's ship, with the exception of Tony.

"Okay, who here hasn't been to space?" Rocket asked.

You, Natasha, Steve, and Rhodey raised your hands slowly. "Why?" Rhodey asked.

Rocket mumbled, "You better not throw up on my ship."

Nebula flicked some switches as she spoke, "Approaching jump in 3... 2... 1..."

The ship jumped forward into a wormhole. You all held onto your seats for dear life. Your eyes widened slightly at the exhilaration of the new experience. The ship slowed down and hovered in orbit of the planet you saw in the hologram previously.

"I'll head down for recon," Carol said, flying down to the planet.

Natasha looked at Steve, who was uncer, "This is gonna work, Steve."

"I know it will," he glanced at his compass, "Cause I don't know what I'm going to do if it doesn't."

Carol came back to the ship, "No satellites, no ships, no armies, no ground defenses of any kind. It's just him."

"And that's enough," Nebula said.

Natasha looked at you, seeing the flames in your irises rise. She put a hand on your chin, whispering reassuringly, "This is gonna work."

You placed your hand on the back of hers and nodded, "I know. We have a promise to keep."

Steve discussed the plan quickly and you all dropped down to the planet, landing the ship. When you were up at the shed that you assumed was his loving quarters, the plan began.

Carol flew through the roof, knocking Thanos down, grabbing him by his neck. Bruce in the Hulkbuster armour burst from the ground, grabbing the arm holding the Infinity Gauntlet. Thor came in then, slicing the arm from his body. Rhodey flew in with Rocket, aiming guns at his head.

Steve walked in, you and Natasha flanking him, staring murderously at him. You used your power, lifting your arms to be ready to go if you needed.

Rocket went over to the Infinity Gauntlet lying on the ground, kicking it over so the knuckles would show.

"Oh, no," Rocket muttered.

"Where are they?" Steve hissed, venom and hatred in his tone.

"Answer the question!" Carol yelled.

Thanos replied, "The universe required correction. After that, the stones served no purpose, beyond temptation."

"You murdered trillions!" Bruce pushed him to the ground.

"You should be grateful," Thanos told you all. Bruce punched him.

The fire on your arms grew with your anger. The flames burning in your eyes only became more visible with each word spoken by this monster.

Natasha asked firmly, "Where are the Stones?"

"Gone. Reduced to atoms," Thanos said.

"You used them two days ago!" Banner yelled.

"I used the Stones to destroy the Stones. It nearly killed me, but the work is done. It always will be," he sat up a little stranger, "I am...inevitable."

Rhodey spoke up, "We have to tear this place apart, he has to be lying."

You had every intention of burning the place to the ground. You were on board.

"My father is many things," Nebula spoke, "A liar is not one of them."

"Ah, thank you, daughter," Nebula looked down, little uncomfortable, "Perhaps I treated you too harshly."

Thor, in a moment of rage, sliced Thanos's head from his body before anyone could stop him. His body falls to the floor.

There was silence.

"What...What did you do?" Rhodey asked.

Thor realized what he'd done and muttered, "I went for the head." He seemed like he was going to look around the room, but he doesn't. He turned around and walked out of the shed.

One by one, each person left the shed. You and Natasha were last. You stared at the body, your hands by your sides, the fire diminished.

Natasha placed a hand on your shoulder, "Come on. We have to get back to Valyrie."

You paused for a beat before muttering, "We failed her."

Natasha shook her head, "No. No, we didn't."

You nodded, "We can't save everyone. We failed her. We failed them."

Natasha placed her hands on your face, making you look at her. "We didn't fail her. The only way we could ever fail her is if we abandoned her. And we will never do that because we made a promise."

You removed her hands from you, "Natasha, we made another promise, as well. I promised I would bring them back. Sam, Wanda, Bucky, everyone! But they can't come back to us, to her. I failed her."

Natasha pulled you into a hug. You tried to fight it, to pull away from her and walk away. But you couldn't. Her touch was too addictive.

As soon as she had her arms around you, you couldn't help but to hug her back. Natasha's voice wavered, you could hear the tears in her voice, "You didn't fail them. You didn't fail her."

You shook your head and she told you, "Listen to me, you stubborn woman. The only way we can fail her is by leaving her. Keep your promise and come back. She needs us, she needs you."

You sighed and settled into her. Slowly, you came to terms with her truth and nodded. Natasha removed her arms from you and you both walked out of the shed slowly.

Everyone waited by the shop for you. You stopped and turned around again. You took a deep breath, clenching your fists.

You raised your hands and allowed your fire to consume the pitiful living space. You watched as the fire viciously licked at the shed, burning it to the ground.

Natasha put a hand on your shoulder and you calmed. She trailed her hand down your arm, the fire disappearing down your skin before she reached it. She intertwined her hand with yours and pulled you back to the ship.

"Come on," Natasha told you.

You sighed and boarded the ship with the team you had left. You were going to get back to Valyrie and you were going to be there for her with Natasha.