CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE.

As the minutes passed, Phoenix began to gain her confidence back. The sobs slowly ebbed away into sniffles as she lifted her head. It had only been half an hour by the time she was coherent again. Her blonde hair was messy and frizzy from the assassin's stroking and caressing and it only made her feel worse. Her eyes were red and puffy, her cheeks tear-streaked as she rested her head against Jax's shoulder. Just trying to process everything for a moment.

"You're okay," Jax said softly as he pressed a kiss to her temple. Phoenix nodded, the numb feeling settled in her heart as she took a hold of his hand. Their fingers tangling together as she took a few more deep, calming breaths. She just wanted to be okay and make sure that she felt okay.

After a moment, Phoenix moved off his lap. The tears had stopped falling but she was left looking like a mess. Red nail marks were pressed into the skin of her neck and shoulder. It wasn't very obvious and was sure to fade overnight but Phoenix knew it was there. She could still feel the cold blade against her skin as if he was still lingering behind her.

"How did they get in?" Phoenix asked after a long moment of silence. Jax stared at her as he watched her move under the covers. The frown on her lips and he just watched. Not sure if she wanted him near her or would rather that he stayed away. So he just watched and waited.

"I don't know," Jax said as Phoenix looked at him. Her eyebrow quirked slightly at his words and she knew he was lying. He was a good liar, she had discovered, but not always. Gently shaking her head, she moved to lie down. Her hand caressing her throat before she looked at him.

"You saw him leave, what happened? I didn't even notice him come in," Phoenix said as she looked at him. Jax sighed and rubbed his face with his hands, sliding off the bed. If he was going to tell her, he had to actually close it. He didn't get the chance before he picked her up and took her away from the room.

"You opened the window, the big one at the end of the room. I saw it open enough and it seemed like he had a hover-car," Jax explained as he grabbed his dressing gown. He slipped it over his shoulders and Phoenix watched him leave the room. Not bothering to protest, she just lay down in bed. The soft white and red sheets pulled up to her chest as her head rested into the mountain of pillows. Her gaze on the ceiling that was a simple dull grey colour.

Phoenix wasn't sure if she had slipped into sleep or time was passing quickly but she was startled back to reality when the door closed to the bedroom. She jumped slightly before she sat up quickly. Her whole body shooting upwards making herself dizzy but she was relieved to see it was just Jax.

His grey fluffy dressing gown wrapped around him as he walked back into the room. He had a small smile on his face but looked slightly flushed. Phoenix then fell back to the bed, her thumping heart slowing down as she rolled over onto her side. Jax walked over to the bed and took off the dressing gown before he got into bed beside her again.