CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN.

Senate business was done for the day and as Padme and Phoenix walked out of their last meeting, Padme suggested they go out for drinks at the bar and Phoenix found it hard to deny Padme. They had both had long arduous days with multiple problematic Senators and needed a break from the hum-drum of the Senate. Phoenix glanced at Obi-Wan as she took her elaborate hairstyle down.

He had been watching the pair throughout their Senate sessions and he seemed happy to be around another familiar face in Padme. They had only exchanged a few words, formal greetings but Phoenix knew they were happy to have each other around. There was history there but Phoenix didn't ask, it wasn't her place.

"I have an obligation to protect Phoenix so I'm afraid I'll have to accompany you both," He explained as he looked between them. Phoenix nodded her head but part of her wanted to rebel, to tell him to leave them for the night. She was with another Senator and unless the assassins wanted to leave a witness, they wouldn't try to kill her.

Padme could sense Phoenix's indifference to Obi-Wan's presence so quickly interjected with, "He can protect us both. I've made my fair share of enemies so they could easily try and assassinate the both of us." She was ever the peacemaker and that made her many enemies in the Senate but also made her want to keep the peace between Phoenix and Obi-Wan. She was unaware of their history but could sense there was something.

"I will make myself discreet, Senator Vanda," Obi-Wan said, gesturing for them to go forward. Phoenix nodded and pushed her fingers through her hair before continuing to walk by Padme's side. The trio walked down the stairs towards the exit of the Senate and then leaving through the grand arch-doorways. They called a hover-taxi and they got in. The silence was thick with tension and once they got out, in the district necessary, Obi-Wan made himself discreet and Padme could talk more openly with Phoenix.

"What happened with Master Kenobi? I sense some tension between the two of you," Padme commented as the pair walked along the street. A small smirk spreading across the younger Senator's face. Padme had set her eyes on a classy but still cheap bar down the street that they were headed towards. Despite the less-than-ideal reputation of the district, Padme enjoyed frequenting it.

"There's nothing there. We were teenagers and young and dumb and in love. Then he broke my heart and we grew up. Nothing there anymore and I don't know if there ever was," Phoenix shrugged at Padme. The Senator raised an eyebrow at that, clearly not believing Phoenix. Padme always had the ability to tell when something was a lie. She had a strange and freaky ability that Phoenix wished she shared. It would make understanding Obi-Wan's intentions much easier.

"I don't think that's it. Why is he the one protecting you? Did you choose him?" Padme asked curiously and Phoenix was quick to scoff, shaking her head at even the suggestion of that. Despite her curiosity, Phoenix would never have intentionally chosen Obi-Wan. It put her whole life in jeopardy. The pair walked in through the entrance. The bar was classier than most on the street.